What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over Winter Indoor Setup / What Do You Think

I started growing Neps on my window sill & moved them outdoors as my collection grew & finally to a basic greenhouse
But have never grown Neps indoors under lights
{All My Plants Are High Landers}

Never really had any problems growing outdoors year round other than one year when some plants got some bad cold burn damage on their leaves but they all recovered / Didn't lose any / I have plants that have been growing outdoors for 5 to 7 years now
{I Live In SoCal}

But this has been one of the coldest summers I can remember / We've barely had a hand full of days that got in to the 80s this year
Last weeks highs were 67 - 71 in the day / Normally this time of year we would be in the mid to high 80 to low mid 90s
Got that feeling that we're going to have a cold winter this year so I want to get prepared just in case we do
Worried about some of newer & smaller plants

How does this sound???

I'm looking at setting up an old display case that I use to use as a breeder tank
It's 5ft long / 2ft wide / 20in. high
Glass front & sides / Currently has a plywood back but planning on replacing the wood with Styrofoam
A raised rack on the bottom
A plastic container of water with an ultrasonic mister to keep the humidity up
Open top
Lights ~ I have 2 4ft shop lights with 1 Philips 40w T12 Daylight bulb {6500K} & 1 40w Wide Spec Aquarium/Plant bulb in each
&
Planing on heating the room with a small room heater as need

I don't have it set up yet or I would post some pics

Was wondering if that sounds like it would work or if anyone has any suggestions before I start putting everything together

A few question I have

*Is 4 4ft fluorescents good for a 5ft set up???
To much / Not enough???

*How long should the lights be on / 14 to 16 hours a day???

***Problems I Might Have Moving Outdoor Plants Indoors***

*Anything I'm forgeting???

Any input/help would be greatly appreciated
Like I said this will be the 1st time I'll be trying to grow Neps indoors under lights & would hate to lose any because I did something wrong or dumb

Thanx
DC

Last edited:
awww you got me worried now DC...
BTW I like that pot your ventrata is in from your pics.

Back