What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to ship?

How would I ship a cutting via USPS Priority Mail? I mean how do I package it and stuff to make sure it doesn't get too damaged and arrive safely to its destination.

My first cutting, and how the rest will probably look. It is wrapped in moist LFS by cotton thread.
img1321n.jpg

One method I've used is to wrap the root ball in some just moist sphagnum moss then wrap/tape the moss ball in some paper towels to make a nice ball. Add a plastic bag around the wet area to keep the moisture up and keept it from drying out too quickly. Next get some shredded newspaper and make a larger ball/log shaped mass around the entire plant. Place the newspaper mass onto a flat piece of newspaper and "wrap" the mass up then tape. Pack crumbled up newspaper to fit the box.

There are easier ways but this was we have never had a complaint without the box having a massive hole in it or sitting outside for a few days or some other odd event.

I have received plants just bagged/tapped to the side of an empty box before and they arrived in very good condition. I think those were just lucky thou.

Packing peanuts work just as well :)

RSS method is sound, just make sure you put the whole cutting inside a large zip lock. If there is any delay in mail, the newspaper and other dry media won't wick out the moisture in the leaves causing the cutting great stress. Packing peanuts will cradle the plant just awesome.

Oh...I pack like the shippers i usually get plants from that have the easiest to unpack: you'll need scotch tape, a plastic ziplock bag to fit the whole plant, damp lfs, and some packing material (I use peanuts) and that's it.

Get the lfs around the roots of the plant or the end of the cutting, insert that into a bottom corner of the plastic bag and tape the bottom corner of the bag around the root-lfs-ball securely, then ziplock up the top of the bag. Throw the bag into shipping material of your choice and close the box. I don't know if anyone has pics of what I send them posted up or not... ?

Depending upon the size of the cutting, I've wrapped the root ball with moist sphagnum, bagged the lot, and taped it to a piece of cardboard -- placed in a box of either crumbled newspaper or packing chips . . .

Alright thanks everyone, I will give shipping a try! I think my cutting is too big to be put in a ziploc bag, so I was thinking of using those bags in grocery stores where you put your veggies and fruits in?

Like this?
img1462t.jpg

Last edited:
Back