What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do I need???

Ok Everyone I have a goal that by the end of the year I want to be able to sow seeds and actually have germination... So all my attempts in my GH have been anything but succesful but I beleive that is due to the Low humididty in the GH. So I have received a goodsized terrarium from a freind, so this should fix the humidity problem... So now I need to figure out LIGHTS! So what type of lights would be best? Anybody have any links that would show a good site to get them from for cheap? I also heard from someone that it would be a good idea to get some sort of fan... would this be nesasary? Thanks in advanced to everybody that chimes in... :) Also dont be afraid to post pics of your setup! :)

Wow Zero that an amazing idea with the stawberry container! HAHA and the Terra is more like a 20 galllon do you think they will have something smalller?

What you need is fresh seed! Keep them moist but not sopping wet, don't cover them with media. Good humidity but not too much or they will go moldy.

Personally I would just use the terrarium with the top off and put the pots down inside. Spriz them every couple days or so to keep them moist. The sides of the terrarium should hold enough humidity. A couple of those 34watt CFL bulbs in those clip on reflector lights would do fine over the top. Those little berry containers work fine placed a few inches under a T12/T8 fixture with a couple bulbs. But again... watch the moisture level or the seed will rot.

Usually though when people say they haven't had any luck it's because the seed was old or no good to start with.

Ok Thanks Tony! Im getting a ton of FRESH Maxima seed straight off the flower stalk here shortly from a friend so that should do fine as the experiment... :)

Yeah, what Tony said.
I use cfl lights in my 3 ft grow tent.
See,
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124034
I started many of these in the containers with the neglect tek:)
I use too much water so I have to pick out the moldy seeds with tweezers:(
The strawberry containers do work well though with fresh seed.
fresh seed is the only way to go.
I have received about 20 lots of seed and only about 12 grew anything.
So expect to wait a while for seedlings or nothing.
I had my glabrata wait about 10 months to sprout.
IMHO the LL seed germinate fast and HL may take a long time.
Please any experianced growers let me know if I'm wrong on this.
It's just my experience.

Last edited:
I just germinate my seeds in 6in pots. I set the pots on a south facing window sill for natural light. For humidity, I just place a gallon bag over the pot. I mist the seeds with rainwater with Superthrive as usual with all my other plants. I get quicker germination that way.

I've got some aristolochioides seed and I'm deciding what to sow it on... If it ends up taking 10 months the live sphag would surely overgrow the seeds, should I use dried LFS?

Some of the seed is long and fat and some is short and skinny, will only the fat ones germinate or is it best to sow it all?

I've got some aristolochioides seed and I'm deciding what to sow it on... If it ends up taking 10 months the live sphag would surely overgrow the seeds, should I use dried LFS?

Some of the seed is long and fat and some is short and skinny, will only the fat ones germinate or is it best to sow it all?

I would just sow it all. You never know if a little runt seed may still decide to germinate, lol. I've had that happen before. As for the medium you sow your seeds on, I would just use a 50:50 peat and sand mix. No live sphag or sphag for that matter. Will only promote algea growth cause of the too moist surface.

The best seeds are the ones with the fat impregnated centers.

I'm jealous, I want my plants to mature enough to hopefully produce seeds for me to play with one day

Back