What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do HL seed need HL temps to germinate?

I'm getting ready to sow my N. aristolochioides seed from "a new higher elevation" and am going to do two 4" pots each in a gallon ziplock to retain humidity with an adjustable ventilation gap.

I was curious if they should experience HL temps to inspire germination or if warm days & nights is better for starting seed of any kind? If they need HL conditions I can set the pots on the patio cos it's great HL temps outdoors here for the next month or two.

Do you mist your Nep seeds daily or just once upon planting?

I'm getting ready to sow my N. aristolochioides seed from "a new higher elevation" and am going to do two 4" pots each in a gallon ziplock to retain humidity with an adjustable ventilation gap.

I was curious if they should experience HL temps to inspire germination or if warm days & nights is better for starting seed of any kind? If they need HL conditions I can set the pots on the patio cos it's great HL temps outdoors here for the next month or two.

Do you mist your Nep seeds daily or just once upon planting?

I would give them H/L conditions for sure. On the watering them. I would mist them like once a day. I use rainwater with superthrive. It works wonders on my nep seeds. Trust me. You've seen my seedling pics. Neps everywhere, LOL.

I would give them Intermediate to H/L conditions. Don't expect them to germinate quickly though. My species seedlings have taken up to 3 months to germinate.
And yes you can mist them but it may promote mold.
Just IMHO. I should be getting some of those seeds soon.

Giving the plants their appropriate conditions is far more important after germination than beforehand. I've germinated batches of highland seeds in all manner of environments -- often unintended . . .

I've put the two pots in one of those $0.99 clear shoeboxes from HD (these things are great) much better than an old bag hanging on the pot I think and not totally sealed so they won't need as much hardening off (hopefully). I have it on my lowest plant shelf near the window & fan so plenty cool at night but not quite as cold as outside.

Looked like about 30% of the seed from this pod was viable (fat centers) but I planted it all not sure if that's common percentage or not. Hopefully it's true to species as well, I love aristo. If this is from an even more HL area than the common plants in circulation I suppose we can expect plants that are even more finicky about rising temps than the regular aristos out there.

Good luck with the aristo seed. Congratulations on the score. It should be fantastic to see a wide variety of individuals with various traits. :)

Back