What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cindy

Staff member
For many years, the ones that grew and eventually died at my balcony - I attributed the reason to the fact that N. adnata is found at altitudes of 600-1200m...so cool conditions must be preferred since the demise is ALWAYS during the hot season (May-August).

I thought of giving up on this species but for the past eight months the two plants I have are thriving. They are now in the vining stage and both have produced two basals each (can't wait for them to flower!). Interestingly, they grow in hot, very humid conditions and receive natural light.

nepenthes_adnata_growing_conditions1.jpg

nepenthes_adnata_growing_conditions.jpg

nepenthes_adnata_pitchers.jpg

nepenthes_adnata_intermediate.jpg

The humidity inside the box is above 90%RH and the highest temperature recorded is 38C. Night temperature is not significantly cool as well - averages around 27C. The media used is LFS and perlite. I mist the live sphagnum moss every other day and water the plants only once or twice a week. Conclusively, this species is able to produce vigorous growth and pitchers in conditions that is much hotter than expected. Its tolerance for poorer ventilation also seem to be quite high, making it a good candidate for terrariums.

Words of caution though...
1. N. adnata grown in the above conditions may not reach its full potential i.e. lower pitcher up to 12cm tall and 3cm wide since it is from cooler climate after all.
2. Please don't rush out and buy yourself a transparent bread box for high-humidity-loving species. Seriously, see that empty space in the box without the LSM? The veitchii (Bareo) used to be there. It died from root rot just last week and it is very likely to be due to overly-humid conditions.

One of my favorite species. IME it needs pretty high humidity and does best in half orchid bark half lfs.

It has very thin, papery leaves so it can dry out fast.

I must be mad...new bread box with new N. adnata plants! :lol:
nepenthes_adnata_growing_conditions2.jpg

Different types of sphagnum moss to fill the base in the months to come.
nepenthes_adnata_growing_conditions3.jpg

Amazing growth in just three days; red form of N. adnata.
red_adnata_3_days.jpg

Oooo! Quite the collection you're building there! That's a really cool little species. You're plants look terrific.

It's been 5 months since the last post. Time to update with more photos!

nepenthes_adnata_breadbox.jpg

The best-looking plant with the largest pitchers (nearly 3").

nepenthes_adnata_plant.jpg

nepenthes_adnata_pitcher1.jpg

nepenthes_adnata_pitcher_3inch.jpg

nepenthes_adnata_pitcher2.jpg

nepenthes_adnata_pitcher.jpg

The basals from the two oldest plants.

nepenthes_adnata_basals.jpg

nepenthes_adnata_basals1.jpg

The red form. Pitchers are not as nice, probably because they are younger plants to begin with.

nepenthes_adnata_red.jpg

nepenthes_adnata_red1.jpg

Extremely impressive progress cindy, what a lovely species N. adnata is!

Really beautiful plants of a beautiful species!

Latest pitcher at slightly larger than 3.5".

adnata_3halfinch2.jpg

adnata_3halfinch1.jpg

adnata_3halfinch.jpg

The photographed pitcher is from the plant, second from the left. This is how it looked like when I first got it.

nepenthes_adnata_growing_conditions3.jpg

After 5 months...
nepenthes_adnata_plant.jpg

Neat. Cool setup!

The plants since I started this thread 4 years ago...

Looks great!
Envelope headed your way.

I have never heard or seen this species before, very cool :)

Those look great, Cindy. Reminds me quite a lot of the N. rhombicaulis I grow, which also seems to revel in high humidity and vines horizontally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. I have male plant that is a very vigorous grower, as well as flowerer. Not easy to find females though, have only heard about some originating from MT [I assume this is an abbreviation for a Nepenthes grower, and not Montana]. I have purchased another clone to see if that might turn out to be female, but I don't hold my breath.

Regards,

Christer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back