What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vining?

• Thread starter calng424
  • Start date
How can u tell if ur nep is vining?
My amp is getting really tall til it tilts over . Cos i seen peple amp really tall. Is it vining or growing too tall... ???

The internode distance increases substantially, that's one way to tell.

cause it looks like a vine?

Nepenthes vines are very easy to tell on most species. Here are a few examples

vine2.png

In this picture, you can tell by the bottom of the plant where the plant grew with regular node spacing. Near the top half of the plant is when it started to vine and space out its nodes more.

vine1f.png

This is a mature plant's vine. It has a few inches of leaf spacing. It grows a very thick vine for support.
And yes, that is a flower stalk at the top. Will possibly have pollen soon, it's a N. 'St Bavo' ((Ventricosa x alata) x sanguinea)

vine3.png

This is what this nepenthes looks like when its vining. It doesn't really change. It just grows on a woody trunk and will keep that node spacing throughout its life. N. Campanulata is a great example of this.

there are some plants (like N. campanulata) which never truly vine....
like mentioned, and photographed above, internodal spacing is the best way to tell, and different plants begin to vine at different sizes, ages, and varying conditions as well...in general with most plants, lower pitchers are the prettiest anyway, so enjoy them while they last...

in general with most plants, lower pitchers are the prettiest anyway, so enjoy them while they last...

That's totally subjective of course.

But I totally agree with you.

...While some neps like N. platychilla, N. lowii and N. eppiphiata are pretty unremarkable until they start producing uppers.

truthfully i like upper pitchers.

...While some neps like N. platychilla, N. lowii and N. eppiphiata are pretty unremarkable until they start producing uppers.

Unremarkable? I mean of course their uppers are quite remarkable, but eppiphiata lowers, unremarkable? Lowii and eppiphiata, and even platychilla have totally gorgeous lowers.

If there were a new species found that produced pitchers that were similar in their traits to the lower pitchers of a lowii, there would be a definite lust factor going on amongst growers!

Don't forget the uppers of hamata :)

hamata is awesome as a plant :D

Back