What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ampullaria University Terrarium

Hello, I am partially back after a long absence.If anyone of you remember me I take care of all the CPs in the Botany Department at a local university in Utah.

I am interested in getting a few amps for the terrarium. The dimensions are 4' x 4' x 6' tall. The terrarium has a running waterfall and a reasonably sized basin. There are epiphytes on the on a cork board and hanging plants that help form an overstory. The lights are 4 CFLs that keep the upper layers bright and the bottom shady. The entire terrarium receives distilled water.

All that sounds like it would be reasonable for an amp. I am not new to amps I just haven't grown one for about 8 months and I kept in different conditions.

The problem is the humidity. The terrarium has a double sliding front door which has large gaps that circulate the air. Also the waterfall only runs while school is in session. Mon-Fri 8am-6pm. Humidity ranges from mid 40s to 70% or higher. The localized humidity on the ground where the amp will be tends to be a bit higher.

I just want some opinions to see if anyone has tried a similar setup setup or if it sounds suitable. Are there is a variety that is tolerant of low humidity? How does humidity factor in to the plants growth? Will it still pitcher?

I am picking amp because an entry level course has a lecture about the plant.

Blake

my opinion is get the amp , it may be a little more picky about the heat than the humidity , ive had two for about the past ten months, and they grow in a lowland terrarium, under t-5 lighting at about 12 inches away, the leaves get a little scorched ,I do think they might handle a little more light than your offering, my temps range from 75 to 90 F, and a little warmer some times, if the humidity is above say 55 to 60 % most of the time the amp should do just fine, as far as the gap in the doors goes , that should help with some air circulation . and of course these are my opinions , and conditions , the amps ive grown are n.amp borneo sunset and n. amp. x talangensis though i think the hybrid is a pure amp. which is an ongoing debate , some think its pure amp. while others defend the hybrid as amp x talangensis, but it is a beauty.
amp x talangensis ?
IMG_3213.jpg
IMG_3211-1.jpg
borneo sunset
IMG_1883.jpg
IMG_3223.jpg

Hi CPBlake,

Welcome back!

I agree with upwhiz about humidity. I live in lowland conditions and all of my N. ampullaria plants produce pitchers year round compared to constant-high-humidity-demanding species like N. veitchii. Daily RH at my balcony averages between 44%-69% which similar to what you can provide.

I have had a red N. ampullaria sitting on my West windowsill for over a year now and it's happy as a clam. Sometimes they stop pitchering during the Winter when humidity is almost nonexistent from the woodstove and hotwater baseboard. They still grow fine though and resume pitchering again in the Spring.

My concern wouldn't be the humidity but the light levels. 6' tall grow chamber is pretty high. How powerful are the CFL?

Yes, Yes Yes. Thanks just the encouragement I need! Since my arrival at the University I have been trying to get CPs in more and more of the lectures and labs. This amp was added to demonstrate the unique pitcher morphology for collecting leaves and debris.

Thanks Cindy its good to be back! I have missed the community. My humidity should fit right with yours but I received good news today that the Botany Lab Manager purchased a fogger that will use our distilled water or the pool at the bottom of the waterfall. This should help increase the local humidity within a good range.

Back