What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

repotting

deeloc

Student of Life
I repotted my Ventrata today, and I didn't remove the old media, it didn't look or smell bad, but the plant looked to small for me in the pot...I went from a 6 inch pot up to an 8 inch and that is sitting in a 10 inch octagon wood slat pot. Would it be ok for now? I don't really know what to look for as far as roots, so I didn't want to just start tearing up the old media (though I did break a little off the bottom to see how good it was yet).

Did the same with my Ventrata.
Except some mold in the new soil when its wet for a long time no probs at all.

If the media is in good shape,
transplanting into a larger container WITHOUT disturbing the planting media and roots
is actually the safest way to do it!

It is when we remove the media that we have to be the most careful, as we are then
disturbing the plants roots. To be on the safe side, you actually did it correct from what I see. :bigthumpup:

And indeed, refreshing the media when it begins to decompose is beneficial for the plant, and needed.
If you are careful when doing it, re-potting/transplanting is actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. And done correctly, will NOT stress the plant much at all.

Good Luck! :water:

cool thanks for the help guys!

Nepenthes are highly resistant to re-potting issues and I've potted and re-potted plants for years without any issue. Just do it without resorting to a salad spinner . . .

I always use veggie choppers when i repot my neps...

Back