What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. clipeata's Peltate Leaves

That pitcher is SO lovely. Lovin' the hips.

Thanks for the kind comments...

...and now back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;)

This clipeata pitcher starting to crack a smile...
IMG_6254-1.jpg

An indoor shot, backlit by sunshine, with the pitcher still showing some of it's fuzziness.
IMG_6280-2.jpg

And a couple of outdoor shots
IMG_6303-3.jpg

IMG_6318-4.jpg

dvg

Awesome! How old is it?? and btw, a little offtopic too.. Do you fertilize your plants?

Last edited:
Thanks Cosmo, i got this from Wistuba as a tiny plant back in August '08.

As a matter of fact i do! :cool:

dvg

Oh! good.. Could you please tell me how often and at which concentration do you do it?
I remember that in another post you once mentioned you use Maxsea, right?(Or am I hallucinating?? hehe)

Omagosh, it opened. :laaa:

I'm surprised that Wistuba's clones aren't... whiter.

Oh! good.. Could you please tell me how often and at which concentration do you do it?
I remember that in another post you once mentioned you use Maxsea, right?(Or am I hallucinating?? hehe)

I feed them when i feel they can use an extra little boost and the concentration is species, hybrid and seasonally dependent...and no you are not hallucinating.:-D

Omagosh, it opened. :laaa:

I'm surprised that they are so much fuzzier since they have been grown in a south facing window.

dvg

I feed them when i feel they can use an extra little boost and the concentration is species, hybrid and seasonally dependent...and no you are not hallucinating.:-D

dvg

Ohh well, I gotta "hear" my plants then hehe, is just that I was thinking I was over fertilizing my plants, because lastly they have been growing slower, but I have like three different possibilities for that haha, I just wanted to dismiss overfertilization xP
Thanks God I wasn't hallucinating btw haha.. thanks for your reply :-O

The pitchers can vary a bit. Mine have produced some with nice reddish blush, but normally they have more typical pale colors.

I am however surprised that the pitchers seem to retain the wings (even if reduced) to a larger size than what is mentioned in books. Maybe there wasn't many young specimens to examine when the description was made.

Regards,

Christer

Ohh well, I gotta "hear" my plants then hehe, is just that I was thinking I was over fertilizing my plants, because lastly they have been growing slower, but I have like three different possibilities for that haha, I just wanted to dismiss overfertilization xP
Thanks God I wasn't hallucinating btw haha.. thanks for your reply :-O

If you are growing your plants under lights controlled by a timer, the fertilization process is more standardized.

But if you are growing them in a greenhouse or close by a window, seasonal variables will have to be taken into account.

This clipeata was growing on a window, but the daytime light fluctuates from 7.5 hours of daylight on Dec. 21 all the way up to 17.5 hours of daylight on June 21.

The plants obviously need less fertilizer when they are receiving less light.

Good luck with your plants! :cool:

dvg

So colourful dvg! never thought clipeata would so so well on a windowsill.

Thanks Daniel,

I wasn't sure how well it would do either, but others including yourself were having success with their magic windows, so i thought i'd give it a whirl too...

...so far, so good...

dvg

One last pic of this pitcher, coming at you head on, before this thread is allowed to sink down to the nether regions of this board.

IMG_6363-3.jpg

dvg

Very nice colour on it! Very beautiful :)

Ridiculous... who cares if this thread withers into the nether regions??

What an awesome plant!

I still wonder what you mean by household temperatures, because every household will be different. Would you say that it gets proper lowland temps? Like 85 in the day and 70 at night, or is it trucking along at intermediate temps?

Thanks guys!

Dex, i've only been growing this plant next to the window since last fall.

The temps so far have been 20 C during the day and falling to 15C in the winter, but staying a little warmer at night now that spring is here.

We only get a few days in summer that get above 30 C, so we don't have to bother with AC.

If i see that the plant is looking a little stressed with the heat of summer, i always have the option of putting it back in the basement, where it spent the first couple of years with me.

But i'd say that i've treated this as more of an intermediate grower, than a true lowlander.

dvg

An update on the newest pitcher to open on this plant.

IMG_2143-N-clipeata-clone3-AW.jpg

dvg

O.M.G. that is just downright gorgeous!

Doug, wow! Just :drool:

Gorgeous plant!

Back