What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The leaves look too elongated to be pure N. burbidgeae. Congratulations! I believe you got yourself a burbeddy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Woot woot! I've always wanted a N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana! :banana2:

Your N. bicalcarata is very impressive!

Thanks Zhilin. :) I wish I could keep it forever.

More new Nepenthes! These *should* be the last Nepenthes I get for the season, or for a while/anytime soon. There's been a plethora of updates from all those of us who are just now receiving a certain someone's plants that traveled from pretty far away. So I'll just add to that crowd. :)

Here's a double growth point Nepenthes faizaliana. Looks very healthy and I'm loving the color of the leaves already. The pitchers are kind of going every which way though. :p

DSCN5727.jpg

DSCN5728.jpg

And after 11 years of gawking aimlessly: I now finally have my very own Nepenthes hamata! Woot woot. It's a clone two. I have no idea what the differences in the clones are and I have seen very little labeled comparisons on the internet, soo... We'll see.

DSCN5725.jpg

But any N. hamata is a good N. hamata.

DSCN5726.jpg

And last but certainly not least: Possibly my most lusted after Nepenthes of all right after N. edwardsiana, Nepenthes argentii. SO excited to receive this plant. :banana2: :spazz: :-))

DSCN5721.jpg

YES!

DSCN5722.jpg

Keep opening buddy!

DSCN5723.jpg

The small tendril on the left got a little creased in traveling. I hope it keeps inflating. :(

DSCN5724.jpg

OMG NICE! That's super awesome - I've been contemplating what his N. faizaliana looks like so definitely take update pics! That N. hamata is already toothy and sooo cute.. :love: And I love the N. argentii - totally looks exactly like the one I got from the same place 5ish months ago and promptly traded away for ceph seeds once I acclimated it. I missed it so much I got another! I assume mine's BE so we'll have to share'n'compare as they grow if you're interested.

Congratulations--N. hamata and N. argentii are two of my favorite species. And yours look great!

I too will have an N. argentii coming in a few weeks, and I am super stoked. It's a combination of two of my most favorite things in the world: miniature stuff and Nepenthes. Moreover, not only does it have a huge cuteness factor, but based on the harsh conditions of its natural habitat, it's a hardcore little species. You will have to keep us updated with the progress of your little guy. It's not a species I hear a whole lot about...that is something we will have to change :)

THANKS! You don't have to worry about me updating any of my plants. :p I am really interested to see how the N. faizaliana turns out. The photos on CPPF sure make it look pretty colorful, and I'm sucker for anything with good peristome striping. AW's description had me sold on it too, plus the fact that I don't think I have seen anyone post pictures of any N. faizaliana, so I figured I would have to find out for myself.

And I would love to compare N. argentii! I hope mine likes my conditions, and I hope yours likes yours as well.

Someday I wish very much to make SG argentii or some epic N. argentii hybrids.

[Edit: Unable to identify plant shown in red, above. Unidentifiable abbreviation.]

Thez: Mine is going to be from BE, so we can all compare if you'd like. Plus I hypothesize that more N. argentii results in an exponential growth of awesomeness.

[Edit: Unrecognizable abbreviation used, shown in red, above.]

FYI: BE=Borneo Exotics
SG=Seed Grown

Last edited:
Oh man, awesome! :drool:

First thing's first:

Continually updated Nepenthes argentii progression since I received it. (Will update as often as possible)

12/10/10

DSCN5721.jpg

12/20/10

DSCN5733.jpg

12/28/10

DSCN5741.jpg

January 4th, 2011.

DSCN5747.jpg

January 17th, 2011.

DSCN5778.jpg

First pitcher inflating.

DSCN5773.jpg

And a small tribute to Nepenthes bicalcarata.

Early 2009

P1010287.jpg

P1010290.jpg

Moved back to Alaska, mid 09.

031.jpg

Getting larger.

SANY0112.jpg

Won the first POM contest on TF in October.

SANY0110.jpg

Late 09, early 10 - hitting the glass again already.

SANY0271.jpg

SANY0765.jpg

DSCN5534.jpg

DSCN5535.jpg

Adapts to highland conditions

DSCN5691.jpg

DSCN5687.jpg

DSCN5685.jpg

Has to leave -

DSCN5744.jpg

DSCN5743.jpg

Fair thee well, beloved bicalcarata.

DSCN5686.jpg

Last edited:
So since the N. bicalcarata is gone now I've made a few changes to the terrarium for those of you who are interested. (This is mostly just for my documentation. :p)

With N. bicalcarata
DSCN5739.jpg

Without N. bicalcarata

DSCN5752.jpg

Starting on the left - Genlisea violacea, Utricularia calcyfida (thanks RSS!), Utricularia nelumbifolia, Drosera prolifera (Thanks RL3785! [Those aren't the right numbers...]), Down at the bottom a basal that I took off of N. ampullaria x talangensis before I sent it to Liz (rooted and growing well! :D)

DSCN5753.jpg

In this picture - N. spectabilis x aristolochioides, N. ventricosa x glandulifera, N. hamata, N. argentii, N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana, H. heterodoxa x minor, H. pulchella, and in the for-ground, U. tricolor, U. sandersonii (blue), D. capensis, and "D. roundandstickya".

DSCN5754.jpg

In the fore-ground, N. jacquelineae, two seed grown N. glabrata and a very sad unrooted N. spectabilis x talangensis basal.

DSCN5755.jpg

And in the far right - More D. prolifera and U. nelumbifolia (thanks RL!), N. faizaliana in the back, and of course, the big plant is N. spectabilis x talangensis.

DSCN5756.jpg

:drool: that is sooo nice!

I bet my plants wish they could vacation in your growspace :p

Very nice man. They are doing great. The only suggestion would be to add a couple of CFL lights on the top and soon pitcher size/color will get even better.

:drool: that is sooo nice!

I bet my plants wish they could vacation in your growspace :p

Thanks! Mine wish they could be hit with that SD CA sunshine. :D

Very nice man. They are doing great. The only suggestion would be to add a couple of CFL lights on the top and soon pitcher size/color will get even better.

Thank you. This is very true. I need to redo the entire setup to an extent. :scratch: I want to cram a couple more light fixtures up top and find a better method of sealing the top. Then I should probably think about putting a very small fan in there.

The latest humble pitcher on this newer plant. Nepenthes ventricosa x glandulifera.

DSCN5745.jpg

At first I was seeing a lot of N. glandulifera prominence in this cross. However, this latest pitcher definitely points out a hefty serving of N. ventricosa. Still, can't wait to see how it grows up. :)

DSCN5746.jpg

An out of focus pic of N. faizaliana working on a new pitcher, with an unintentional wild hitch-hiker D. rotundifolia.

DSCN5751.jpg

Beautiful shots Dexenthes:). Hope my neps look as nice as yours one day.

Thanks dionae, all it takes is a good terrarium a little bit of Terraforums and some patience. Anyone can do it. :p

Even a caveman?!? I've been compared to those:p.

Excellent plants, Dex. I'm especially fond of your N. spectabilis x talangensis. The coloration and pitcher shape are great. The last picture of your N. bicalarata is also very stunning.

Keep up the good work. I might have missed it but where is your N. bicalarata going? Are you getting rid of it because it is getting too big?

xvart.

Even a caveman?!? I've been compared to those:p.

Definitely a caveman could.

Excellent plants, Dex. I'm especially fond of your N. spectabilis x talangensis. The coloration and pitcher shape are great. The last picture of your N. bicalarata is also very stunning.

Thank you! I am liking that cross very much, and it just started pitchering again after a few month hiatus. :) Maybe if that basal ever roots... :scratch:

Keep up the good work. I might have missed it but where is your N. bicalarata going? Are you getting rid of it because it is getting too big?

xvart.
It's gone to Colorado to a certain someone who grows many many Nepenthes. :)

And yes, it was too big. The plight of any terrarium N. bicalcarata grower. :cry:

Back