What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the flowering thing

Just putting my 2 cents in
But isn't it more a seasonal/time of year thing

On the flowering thing

Just putting my 2 cents in
But isn't it more a seasonal/time of year thing

Good question. have no idea. more or less why I wanted to see if the mature plant I gave away is flowering or its flowering is delayed as it was moved to a warmer location. The one I moved to the greenhouse at the college is not showing any indication of flowering. It has been significantly warmer than any of the plants.

Now blooming N. ventricosa
First one is actually putting up a second flowering spike
DSC_00020002_6.jpg

DSC_00030003_2.jpg

females that I am pollinating. Hoping that i get help from the flies and beetles. these flowers are stinky
DSC_00010001_15.jpg

It's so big! :D

Seriously have you measured that thing?

I never noticed my Nepenthes flowers having a smell of any kind, perhaps only certain species do?

Thats a huge flower!! Never had one grow that big....For all my neps which have flowered i've noticed a smell...Don't know how to describe it though...Its been so long since i had one flower for me..

HUGE! wow! that is one helluva beastly lady!

That's gotta be one of the biggest spikes I've ever seen!

Older pic last 2 female flower spikes
DSC_01530004.jpg

Pic of a male ventricosa at the college. has never bloomed. Must be about 4 feet long. Guessing minimum temp for flower initiation never reached in Kahului. All of is clones at home this size or smaller have bloomed. No red color so I am guessing also that the red is influenced by cool night time temps. It doesn't really get that much below the mid 70s here in town

DSC_05080001.jpg

Fresh seeds collected today
N. ventricosa

DSC_05870008.jpg

DSC_05820004.jpg

DSC_05800003.jpg

DSC_05790002.jpg

Holy cow that is a lot of ventricosa. :lol:

It'll be great to get those seeds sprouting!

You could start your very own invasive species...

Holy nep seeds batman!!

Thanks guys. Easier to update things now school is done for the term, grades submitted.

N. maxima Flowering Dec. 21, 2011
DSC_00140003_2.jpg

DSC_00100002_2.jpg

Awesome. Are you going to make another ridiculous load of species like you did with ventricosa?

no male maxima so guess it will have to be a hybrid... :)

Any ideas on a father?

might have a ventricosa blooming about the same time :p

Back