What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Grow Area

most of the over grown ones have been trimmed and made into cuttings today
DSC_00440014.jpg

N. sanguinea "Orange"
DSC_00500018.jpg

N. bellii x ventricosa
DSC_00490017.jpg

N. maxima "dark" x sanguinea
DSC_00470016.jpg

N. maxima
DSC_00450015.jpg

N. "Miranda"
DSC_00420013.jpg

N. 'Exotic Lady'
DSC_00400012.jpg

N. ventricosa x pectinata
DSC_00390011.jpg

N. spectabilis
DSC_00340010.jpg

[Edit: Capital "X" is only used for intergeneric hybrids, lower case "x" is used for interspecies hybrids.]

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!! :-O
They all look marvelous, Mach!
:love:

Oh VERY nice on everything! I'm glad the Nepenthes spectabilis turned out OK considering it wants colder temps.

Hawaii has its advantages!

Those look fantastic.....:-O

one of the flats of Nepenthes ventricosa x ? seedlings

DSC_02910001.jpg

DSC_02920001.jpg

Very nice looking plants.

Very cool!

Haha, that's awesome to see so many Nepenthes plants in such a small area.

Great looking plants; thanks for sharing!

female Nepenthes ventricosa (it was pale creamy looking when i bought it)
DSC_00240005.jpg

male Nepenthes ventricosa red
DSC_00270006.jpg

DSC_00280007.jpg

Wow, love the color on this happy couple.

weird....serrated edges---looks like some sort of wing influence!

A while back someone was asking in the chat box about Nepenthes flowers and the leaves they produce right up to flowering

N. ventricosa being grown outside and all the mature plants are flowering now. Have maybe 4 or so plants starting. one i took to the greenhouse at the college that i am working at is the same age and it isn't blooming. Suspect that temperature changes might be the environmental cue that this plant is using to determine when to flower. if it was day length I would suspect that the one at the greenhouse in Kahului would be blooming as well. I gave one to a person that lives a few hundred to a thousand feet in elevation lower than me checking now to see if it is blooming.

male flowers soon to be
DSC_00380014.jpg

DSC_00300008.jpg

DSC_00340011.jpg

DSC_00360012.jpg

female flower starting to open
DSC_00280006_1.jpg

N. sanguinea "orange"
DSC_00310009_1.jpg

N. x ventrata
DSC_00330010.jpg

You said that temperature changes seem to trigger flowering.....is it rising temps that trigger it?

Dunno. ??? i almost think it is a temp drop to a critical point or maybe a degree day sort of deal, like the temperate fruits that need some many hours in the 40-50 range to trigger flowering. Or cold for a certain period and then temp rise. But given that they bloomed for Sam and he is maybe 1000 feet above sea level and much warmer than me i dunno. OTOH i do not know when in the year his plants (N. ventricosa) will flower. Odd thing is cuttings taken from the male plants seem to keep on flowering as they are developing roots.....

You said that temperature changes seem to trigger flowering.....is it rising temps that trigger it?

Dunno. ??? i almost think it is a temp drop to a critical point or maybe a degree day sort of deal, like the temperate fruits that need some many hours in the 40-50 range to trigger flowering. Or cold for a certain period and then temp rise. But given that they bloomed for Sam and he is maybe 1000 feet above sea level and much warmer than me i dunno. OTOH i do not know when in the year his plants (N. ventricosa) will flower. Odd thing is cuttings taken from the male plants seem to keep on flowering as they are developing roots.....

Hmm..I've noticed a definite connection between flowering and outdoor and greenhouse growing....so I always suspected it had something to do with sunlight...but now I'm thinking it may be a far more complex process......huh. :scratch:

IIRC, I was the one asking about the flowers awhile ago. I know I certainly have, and I can totally see the difference now. Thank you! :-O

Also, all your Neps are super pretty, too :3

Back