What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is happening to my QoHxKoS?

What is going on? I have my truncata ten inches beneath two 40watt t12 lights. I've had it for 2.5 months now (I think), and its leaves are becoming smaller and smaller. the second smallest leaf was already formed when I received it, but pitchered in my care. The tiniest leaf developed recently, and is REALLY tiny. Why are the leaves getting smaller?
It receives 16 hours of light per day, 50% humidity, temps of 73F during the day, 65-60F during the night.

73151_1458970509499_1090476359_31076964_2956392_n.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can't be sure, but I can say that when I use T12s, I use 3x what you're using. I used to just use two two-tube fixtures per shelf, but it didn't quite cut it for my Neps. Adding another pair of tubes really made a huge difference.
~Joe

I'm going to be make the switch to HO t5s soon, so maybe that will help. I dunno.

Hmm... this leaf shrinkage has happened to me before. It might be caused by change conditions, although I don't really know for sure. All I can say is that they usually start making bigger leaves again after a while.

My Q x K had chlorosis in addition to shrinking leaves.....it seems to have been caused by a too dense mix coupled with too much heat. since yours doesn't seem to have a temp issue, I have no idea.

Last edited:
looks fine to me, i have had neps decrease leaf size when lighting increased, im assuming because they dont need as large of a surface area to take in what they need...it doesnt look like anything bad is going on...

I agree with Kris - fussing is to be expected. Both of my truncata clones took quite some time to adjust and were pretty unimpressive for the first year or two, but with better light and a big pot they started to take off one fall and have been pretty hardy ever since.
~Joe

Are the newer leaves tougher than the older ones? If so, it might be because of an increase in light... I find that plants with low light make big leaves and plants under a lot of light make smaller, tougher leaves.
Truncata is a bit weird anyway with leaf size. It stays the same for a long time and then explodes in size.

Also, make sure you don't let that mix get so wet and soggy for long periods of time. Truncata is pretty sensitive to overwatering, especially as far as lowlanders go.

Back