What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Candy Striped veitchii Bario Highland seedlings update

they are going on 7-8 months old now, i believe....and some are showing some pretty good color to the leaves and pitchers, and they are getting size a bit quicker than i thought considering they are veitchii after all :p
time for a repot i think XP
P1010010-8.jpg

P1010008-7.jpg

P1010005-6.jpg

P1010006-10.jpg

P1010003-13.jpg

P1010001-6.jpg

They are sooo adorable!

aww, so cute! :love:

they's so cute!! :awesome:

Oooooh... If you come by to visit sometime maybe I could persuade you to trade for one of my lowii babies...
~Joe

What a success!! I'd actually consider giving up a hamata for a few of those if your interested.

Gorgeous!! They are so small and cute! :B

Totally lustable... Great job on sprouting and growing those. They are sure to be beauties in the future.

Awesome :D
Do you feed/fertilise them ?

Wow, yours are WAY ahead of mine. I have a lot of them, but they are still tiny. I was a little late to the seed party, though, and am somewhat surprised to have gotten the germination that I did considering the seed age.

I got to say that the growth rate is very impressing, those seedlings look very promising!

Regards,

Christer

Any updates on how these babies are doing?

I thought that my largest seedling showed a single red stripe on it's last pitcher.

The fellow that sent me my seeds said that these were the form of N. veitchii that had the red ball-shaped pitchers...i absolutely love that form.

Might have to start a new thread when the newest pitcher opens.

dvg

Nicely done! They're definitely ready for a repotting.

WOW! I would die for some of those :drool:

dvg, any pics? :pics:

Yes, i've been debating on posting some pics of my N. veitchii Bario Highland Candy-Striped babies.

I have plants up to 3 inches across all the way down to less than 1 inch across...the proverbial runt of the litter.

The largest one is nicely colored up in a deep red, and a few of the others are showing hints of red tinge on their leaves and pitchers as well.

As i said, i'm sure that the last pitcher on my largest seedling showed a single red stripe on the last pitcher, so i'm waiting to see what this next one, which is already larger in size, will reveal in the way of striping.

I've fed these plants coffee, a weakly diluted fertilizer solution a couple of times, betta pellets, but mostly they were fed with tropical springtails when they were smaller.

I'd bait the springtails into the pitchers by leaving premoistened bloodworms near the peristomes.

Once the pitchers became full enough, they blacken near the top and close up for business, all the while digesting the contents in the pitchers.

Now a few of the plants are large enough to take D. melanogaster flightless fruit flies.

I'll probably start a new thread in a bit and show y'all what i have going with regards to this N. veitchii form, but i want this newest pitcher to open and hopefully color up before i post.

In the meantime, maybe some of the others that were fortunate enough to also receive these seeds can share what they having growing. :cool:

dvg

Okay, here are a couple of quick teaser pics of my largest seedling, which is growing in a 6" pot.

IMG_0774-NveitchiiBario.jpg

This seedling as well as the others were transplanted in groups of 4 into 6" pots back in May of this year, and from the wild look of these pots, another transplant might be coming soon. ;)

And here is the newly opened pitcher (measured at just under 1.5" tall) on this seedling and if you look carefully, you might notice that there is a single red stripe in the upper right corner of the peristome...not sure if it will color up with more striping at this stage, but the lid only started to open up a day or so ago, so time will tell. :cool:

IMG_0764-veitchiiBario.jpg

dvg

So why are the striped squat Bario veitchii so hard to come by in the states? I've got 3 seed grown veitchii HL and a SG veitchii K, but still can't seem to find this one. ???

So why are the striped squat Bario veitchii so hard to come by in the states? I've got 3 seed grown veitchii HL and a SG veitchii K, but still can't seem to find this one. ???

I don't believe this N. veitchii form is anywhere in commercial production yet.

These seeds were wild collected by locals and then distributed to friends and CP forum members around the world.

In order to get some of these plants or seeds, you either had to have been in the right place at the right time or have known someone that was fortunate enough to have gotten some themselves.

There were a few people in North America that got some of these seeds...Sirkristoff and Capslock, for instance, being two members located in the States...

dvg

Back