What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes "Sabre"

uphwiz

jimmy
hey it finally opened, this pitcher has been on this nep since i got it bout 2 months ago , think the plant is showing signs of growing again, yippie:-D

Lookin' good! :boogie:

Always nice when they pitcher!

Good Growin'
:water:

looks good man. glad to see its doing well and growing again. it was always a pain in the butt for me with growth. so slow but it just kept getting bigger and bigger.

how is the N. 'Peter D'Amato' ?

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
the N. 'Peter D'Amato' is stalled on new pitcher making but has startes two basals one from under the soil line and one just above the media the top looks great but isnt making pitchers right now, but it is quite a nice nep, thanks again alex. want to see a pic of the new growth points?

Weird. My own N. "Sabre" looks like this:

cp-nov2010-sabre001.jpg

Yours seems to take more strongly towards N. lowii. Maybe at some point we can trade cuttings.

yea that looks right think this one stalled after shipping so long that it dwarfed and deformed this pitcher it will be interesting to see how the next few pitchers look

nice pitchers :0o:

can someone clarify the parenting of N. "Sabre"
i know that it's N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis,
how can be that many clones of N. "Sabre" ?

Adi

here are 2 of my N. "Sabre" pitchers

and yes the pitcher in the 2nd pic is huge. the mouth is about the size of a tennis ball.

DSC02754.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

I know there's a 'Clone B' which has a flared peristome and therefore I make the leap of faith and say that there's probably a Clone A - which presumably I have. I've never seen one that takes strongly after N. lowii like the one in this thread but it is possible that other clones were made and propagated. It is also possible that someone made the same cross on their own and called it 'Sabre'. You are correct on the parentage though - CP Photofinder defines it as "N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis".

-B-

nice pitchers :0o:

can someone clarify the parenting of N. "Sabre"
i know that it's N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis,
how can be that many clones of N. "Sabre" ?

Adi

so every N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis can be called sabre.
i know ep as 2 clones A and B (if i am not mistaken B got wide peristome),also he lists now clone C ,and there are lots of SG plants of this hybrid.
so every single one of this clones can be called N. "Sabre" ?

Technically, I don't think that any old cross can be called N. "Sabre" other than the original. Otherwise it becomes more of a GREX and there is an important horticultural distinction. However, all I'm saying is that someone may have made the same cross, and called it "Sabre" even though it shouldn't be. The whole 'clone A', 'clone B' thing is a bit confusing, if you ask me but it's not without its merits: For one you know the exact parentage of the plant, but you also know what to expect from each specific clone. I think it's a good compromise between cultivar names and grexes... but to the uninitiated it can be confusing as hell. Also it can lead one person to think that they're getting one plant and be swindled with another plant.

OK here is the same pitcher now it has change d a bit so I thought id do an update on this one pitcher , the lid is smallish but i think its due to the very long transition acclimating to my conditions, i do like it a bunch though.
IMG_3786.jpg

That takes heavily on the N. x trusmadiensis. It almost looks as if there's no N. ventricosa in it. Nice!

here is an up date on the first pitcher totally developed in my care, it looks a bit different than the one that was on the nep when I got it, I also think this one is some what bigger , I hope the color keeps getting darker, I did like the coloring on the first pitcher in this thread.

here is the new pitcher Last week.
IMG_4065.jpg
this week.
IMG_4067.jpg

N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis is one of my favorite crosses.

xvart.

Hi everyone,

Here are pictures of a few N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis clones in my collection.

"A"

"Wide Peristome" ("B"?)

"C"

N. "Sabre"

N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis is one of my favorite crosses and I always enjoy seeing all the variations in this complex hybrid. I think that "A", "B", and "C" are not specific clones, but are different groups of clones. Perhaps it could even designate different N. ventricosa or N. x trusmadiensis clones used as parents in similar crossings. My "Wide Peristome" clone appears to be from the "B" batch. However, this is all speculation and I could be wrong. As for N. "Sabre", it is a batch of clones from seeds raised in tissue culture for mass propagation by EP.

Cheers,

Ch00ka

so every N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis can be called N. "Sabre".
i know ep as 2 clones A and B (if i am not mistaken B got wide peristome),also he lists now clone C ,and there are lots of SG plants of this hybrid.
so every single one of this clones can be called N. "Sabre" ?
Yes, and every other plant on the planet can also be called N. "Sabre", or whatever else you wish. But officially, N. "Sabre" is neither a registered grex name, nor a valid cultivar name. It is simply a pet name, or nickname someone has decided to attach to the hybrid, only guessed to be (N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis). See CP Photo Finder for N. "Sabre". Since the parentage is uncertain, this fact disqualifies it to be registered as a grex. Every individual plant, produced from seed, is potentially a unique clone. Clone, in this sense, simply means "genetically unique individual". So there may be as many unique clones as there are seeds that grew into plants.

Unique plants can be registered as cultivars (for free), regardless of their parentage. Once a unique plant is registered as a cultivar, you can compare your plant to the published description and photographic standard, so you can be more certain that you are growing the plant you wish to grow.

Of course, any plant can look lousy (if it has lousy growing conditions), but under suitable growing conditions, a registered cultivar would have a much greater chance of appearing like its published description and standard photograph than any other random clone.

Last edited:
Amazing plants! I grow vent x TM as well and it has become one of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

I can't wait for mine to perk up. It's about 2 feet tall, and very unhappy. It didn't ship well at all.. It's basal is doing great though!!

Back