What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes virus?

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
I have recently heard talk of a virus that attacks nepenthes, I have never heard of it before and was just wondering what it looks like.

Thanks.

I think you might be referring to Black Death. Basically the nep's main stem and growth point randonmy turn black, and mushy. It doesn't really 'attac' the leaves, from the cases I've seen.

I think you might be referring to Black Death. Basically the nep's main stem and growth point randonmy turn black, and mushy. It doesn't really 'attac' the leaves, from the cases I've seen.

Oh, I heard talk on another forum of about it causing leaf spotting or something, although I'd be more inclined to think that spotting is most likely caused by pests and fungus. I know that orchids get virus....but neps aren't orchids. ???

Black death is mostly fungal and root borne issues. It may also be due to some other plant pests. But surely, It is not viral. Viral infections as many have "guessed" causes those abberant qualities such as "variegation" in some plants. The reason people assume it is not fungal or other cause is due to the fact that it doesn't spread by contact. It seems to be limited only to the plant that is showing the symptoms. SOmetimes divisions of a plant show variegation that are absent within the parent plant. ALthough I must say that this is completely against everything I know about human viral pathogens which I work with. VIruses are generally highly transmittable. ALthough I do understand plants don't really have any "body fluids" that extrude and come in contact with other individuals. :p Also, I don't think any one has proved that it is indeed those viruses with cause the spotting/variegation. Hence, as of now, its just anecdotal.

It would be interesting to see if someone can cut a variegated leaf (presumed to be due to a viral infection), extract plant extracts, make an abrasion/injury in a new plant and introduce some of the material from the former. THat can prove if it is viral. Although the preparation would be tricky to make as viruses can be sensitive to enzymes that are required to prepare the extracts.

Last edited:
Interesting varun, I wasn'taware that fungus was the cause of black death.

Back