What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thorelii seed

Hey everyone. Today my N. thorelii seeds came in the mail. I got them from someone who said that they are the true species. I was wondering if anyone has experience growing this species from seed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have great experience growing Nepenthes from seeds and have germinated lots of Nep seeds. I use a 50/50 peat and washed silica sand mix to germinate all my seeds on and get great results. I mist the seeds lightly once to twice a day. Give them good lighting and high humidity and you should be fine. Also dont cover the seeds, just sow them on the top of the soil.
Thorelii is a L/L species, so I would treat them as a L/L. But you can also germinate them in intermediate conditions as well.

If they are the true species, then I am guessing you got them from a teenage kid in Vietnam?

They are lowland so warm and humid I would imagine. The pics I saw of the supposedly true species were growing in wet mud. They would probably do fine in peat, but I have never grown thorelli so wait to see what others say.

There are plenty of great threads on nepenthes seed germination around here as well.

thing is, no one has ever seen the REAL deal thorelii ever(at least 100 years), no less have it in cultivation. there was a suspected population of plants found in Vietnam that could may very well be thorelii, however, the local population was adamant about not allowing foreigners to mess around with their plants, and so, the population was never discovered and was never validated. that being said, the kid might be very well selling the real deal thorelii seeds. good luck!

Thank you everyone for the responses. I will see how they do and if they germinate post pics on here when they do. You are correct dashman, they were from Vietnam. They were only a couple of dollars so figured it wouldnt hurt to try some out. With any luck, maybe it is the true species.

The Thorelii seed that is being sold is from vietnam and it is the real deal. There was a thread on Pitcher Plant forums about this seller. He posted saying that he had real Thorelii seed and showed pictures. Many reputable sources confired that it was a real deal...

nate basically beat me to the punch,
however they could not 100% confirm the ID of the plant without seeing it in person, however it APPEARS to be the real deal, the person also found a population of plants recently that seems to be thorelii as well, so there very well may be hope still for this species...

nate basically beat me to the punch,
however they could not 100% confirm the ID of the plant without seeing it in person, however it APPEARS to be the real deal, the person also found a population of plants recently that seems to be thorelii as well, so there very well may be hope still for this species...

I hope its the real deal... Id reall like to see Thorelii "True" x Lowii! EP were you at! ;)

Back