What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indoor Lighting Question

I grow outdoors in a basic greenhouse set up / No temp control

I know my bigger/older Neps can tolerate the winter
But we had a really mellow summer this year that was a lot cooler than normal & the temp has really been dropping at night
So I want to bring some of my newer / smaller Neps & cutting indoors for the winter
{All Are Highlanders}

But other than window sill I've never grow Neps indoors or under lights

Would 2 4ft Philips 40w T12 Daylight florescent bulbs {6500K} & 2 4ft 40w Wide Spectrum Aquarium/Plant florescent bulbs be good for a 5ft long / 2ft wide / 20in. high tank {old display case}

Would 4 4ft 40w bulbs be to much light or not enough???

Also how long should the lights be on / 14 to 16 hours a day???

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanx
DC

I'm not sure about the lights, but a 14 hour photoperiod sounds good for neps.

I have a tank thats almost the same size, just about a foot taller. I run about a total of 200 watts on three light fixtures. Two lights are 6500k, one 10000k, and the other two are wide spectrum aquarium/plant bulbs. I run them about 14 hours. Sounds pretty random, and it is. The tank was originally for fish and I went with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" method and my neps love it, so I've just been replacing those bulbs. I don't think the 4 light's would be too much, probably just about right, unless the plants will be really close to the lights. I would however, recommend T5's over T12's as you can get bulbs that use less wattage (8 watts less per bulb if I remember right) with the same amount of light.

Here's a few pics of the set up so far

Will probably start moving plants in within the next day or two / Will post some pics once I do

I know it's not pretty, but going for functionality over looks right now
The crates are in there to bring some of the smaller plants up closer to the lights

Any Ideas Or Suggestions???

As per my opinion 4ft Philips 40w T12 Daylight florescent bulbs is perfect. With that 4 4ft 40w bulbs will give enough lighting. You should keep this light on for 15 hours a day will be great.

Can't wait to see that full of plants!

In my experience.. T12's suck.
T8's seem to only be good for pings and dews. Stuff that can handle being really close to them..
For my neps I use T5HO's on a 15 hour light cycle.

The spanish moss is doing great btw.

I'm far from a Nep. expert but my mirabilis x bicalcarata seems to be happy under 6 6500K T8 tubes. When I bought it it was dark green and had no pitchers, two months later is has a nice red cast and is throwing out pitchers left and right.

SANY1498Large.jpg

Back