What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. aristolochioides flower

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I just noticed my aristo is flowering. My first flowering nepenthes. I guess I need to wait longer to know if this is a male or female. But any idea?

5215836612_9656c52cfe_b.jpg

cheers,

varun

Wow....seems like alot of N. aristolochioides are in flower right now.....tis the season.....

Last edited by a moderator:
nice! If it's a male I hear nepenthes101 has some flowering females that might make interesting hybrids...

nice! If it's a male I hear nepenthes101 has some flowering females that might make interesting hybrids...

Hi there. I have some females that should be coming into flower soon. Nothing currently in flower but is very close to flowering for me again.

My Females that are due very soon for a flower again are N. tenuis, N. "Hamakua" and N. truncata x N. aristolochioides.

My other females are N. truncata, N. truncata x veitchii H/L, N. eymae, N. eymae x veitchii H/L striped peristome, A plant that I am hoping is female cause all others of these that I have seen have been females so far is N. ventricosa x (x tiveyi) (A), And I also have two N. rhombicaulis that I received as cuttings, I believe these 2 are females cause they are listed as females on the guys grow list whom I received them from, so I am assuming that he cut from his females. These ones here though will be a while till they flower.

Although, seeing that that's a small flower stalk, I would go for anyone who has a female that's currently in flower if that turns out a male. Although if you don't find anyone with any flowering females and that turns out a male, I would be happy to store some N. aristolochioides pollen for when my larger females flower.

Looks like a girl to me varun, congrats.

I have to agree with SK, looks like a girl. Just a thought, on one of the other forums there was a male N. hamata.
N. aristolochioides X hamata now wouldn't that be an awesome hybrid?

I think you're on to something aaddaam...

Congratulations on that flower, that's a great species to see flowering - male or female!

wow ,Congratulations on that flower.
can you take a pic of the all plant?

If it's a female, I have some N. thorelii x aristolochioides pollen that I can send you. I think that backcrossing N. aristolochioides back into an N. aristolochioides hybrid would result in something that resembles N. aristolochioides but has the vigor of a hybrid. Let me know if interested as I do have several other people who are interested in the pollen as well.

I think that if it is possible to make N. aristolochioides x hamata that it should be a crime to not do so!

Hi guys,

Its nice to see soo much feedback. Let me try to answer all questions:

Origin: This plant originated from Borneo exotics. So clearly if this is a female, there is a female plant in the set of random clones

Size of plant: It is currently 3' tall. The plant stopped making pitchers months ago as it is now sprouting a node as it reached the top of the tank. But overall, it is a healthy specimen.

@Adi, I will get you guys a picture tomorrow. Today its already 2:30 AM...need to remove all plants to reach it without damaging other plants.

Thanks for the pollen offers guys. I wouldn't mind an N. aristolochioides and N. hamata hybrid either. However, first dibs will go for N. aristolochioides species. I really want to get some of these species seed in cultivation. I know there aren't too many flowers, but I'll try giving multi-parent crossing on each flower. :) I'll keep ya guys psted as the flower opens. :) Should probably prepare the pollen soon. Any idea of time frame when the flowers will start opening + how to know if the flower is mature?

thanks,

varun

Here is a pic of the full plant guys.

5219369999_f0b4dc8e25_b.jpg

this is the new node:

5219964216_12b3e1ac88_z.jpg

cheers,

varun

WOW!!!! That is one amazing N. aristolochioides. Man how I wish I was able to trade you for a cutting of Her/him. I'm hoping that you have a Female there. Great job growing there.

Thanks Nep101. I do hope too its a female. I am actually excited to see if I can get some seed out of this affair. It used to pitcher very often underneath that last pitcher it made, but since then it stopped. I think it was mostly because of the weather as summer truly took a toll on many of my plants. Well...here's hoping for a great winter/spring.

If it's a female, I'd love to see it crossed back to this guy:

cp-aug2010-aristoxthor002.jpg

Hopefully the end result would be even MORE N. aristolochioides -like and have the vigorous habit of the N. thorelii x aristolochioides and hopefully larger pitchers than just pure N. aristolochioides.

And why not do both crosses?

Individual flowers can be pollinated!

Thanks for the pollen offers guys. I wouldn't mind an N. aristolochioides and N. hamata hybrid either. However, first dibs will go for N. aristolochioides species. I really want to get some of these species seed in cultivation. I know there aren't too many flowers, but I'll try giving multi-parent crossing on each flower. :)

he did say he would pollinate with multiple parents, SDCPs

I have a male N. truncata x hamata that opened it first flower this morning if you are interested.

Looks like only one flower guys. What do u think?

5252978573_73c38570dd_b.jpg

Back