What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on the inermis

I deeply love the upper pitchers of inermis. I have a quick question. For a 3inch cross inermis, how long shall I wait till it produces the upper pitchers? Thanks.

Zhilin

That all depends on the growing conditions that are provided for the plant so there's no real definite answer there. Most likely a couple to few years though if all needs are met for the plant.

That all depends on the growing conditions that are provided for the plant so there's no real definite answer there. Most likely a couple to few years though if all needs are met for the plant.

Thanks for your quick reply. So, if I want to see its beautiful, representative upper pitchers, I need to wait for more than 2 years! ??? OMG!

Its low pitchers are pretty boring. No interesting shape or color.

Just to confirm: the representative wine-glass shape only appears in its upper pitchers, right? I know some neps have intermediate pitchers, which combines some characteristics of low pitchers and upper pitchers. Don't know if inermis has such intermediate pitchers?

Found some good Inermis pictures

Nepenthes_inermis1.jpg

N_inermis_JF_08.jpg

N_inermis_JF_06.jpg

N_inermis_JF_07.jpg

N_inermis_JF_09.jpg

great pic ,plants look really healty.
what are you useing for soil mix?

adi

great pic ,plants look really healty.
what are you useing for soil mix?

adi

Those aren't my Inermis plants, lol. I will be getting some Inermis seeds soon to work with and germinate though.

N. inermis will take a couple years to get to the vining stage but if the temps are good 70-80*F days and 40-50*F nights and the water is pure it'll get there. Get more plants to play with, then it won't seem as long. :) IIRC it was one of my faster growing highland species.

I grew mine from 3" diameter seedling to a large vine in a 4" net pot (a plastic pot made of mesh) full of long fiber sphagnum and fine grade orchid bark that I hung from the side walls of my chamber among the miniature orchids. It got soaked every day or two and lightly fertilized every other week and pitchers fed every 2 weeks with defrosted crickets once the pitchers were big enough.

Nepenthes101: The pics of the low pitchers are beautiful, although their shape is very different to the upper pitchers.

swords: thanks for the information. Can you tell me the exact pitcher size that you think 'big enough' and feed every 2 weeks with crickets? I actually sometime feed my neps with crickets. But I always worry about overfeed. So, I generally feed a small sized crickets every month.

So long as the prey item is fully covered by fluid then it's the right size. Anything poking out of the fluid can rot or get fungusy. It won't kill the plant but it can blacken the pitcher and that's just no fun! LOL

Back