What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown Spots on N. maxima Leaves

Hey everyone,

I noticed today that my N. maxima has developed some brown spots on one of it's leaves. It was not there last night. I did spray down all my plants with neem oil last night after the lights went out. Has anyone ever gotten any brown spots on their plants after using neem oil? This is my 4th application and the plant has never shown spots like this before. Do you think the neem stayed on the leaves and then the leaves were burned when the lights came back on?

Here are some pictures to help out.

The temps in the tank are 24-25c during the day with 80% RH. During the night it's about 15c and 90%+ RH. The plant has been growing in this for over half a year. I have 4 T5 HO 54 tubes above the tank with a 16 hour light cycle. I currently think I have thrips, which I also had during the summer but managed to get rid of them (guess not good enough). The plant was badly attacked during the summer, but the leaves did not look this way. Any help would be great :). If you need any extra info just ask me and I can provide it.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats weird. Some of my intermediate and lowlanders get these kind of spots when it gets too cold for their liking. But N. maxima is a tough plant and it seems like it doesnt get cold enough in your tank for this to occur so idk. Sorry I couldnt be of much help. Its gotten down to 4c where I live and my maxima keeps growing like nothings happening. And the RH stays very low also, rarely going above 45%. Maybe, the leaves dont stay wet do they? Like when you water, do the leaves stay wet for long periods of time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem, only worse. I happens when neem (or most pesticides) are sprayed on a plant and is not allowed to dry before being exposed to intense light. To prevent leaf burn, make sure the neem dries quickly before being exposed to direct light.

The spots have spread throughout the leaf but the pitcher at the end of the leaf is perfect, which seems odd. Maybe I over did the Neem treatment. The new leaves look good though.

Thats weird. Some of my intermediate and lowlanders get these kind of spots when it gets too cold for their liking. But N. maxima is a tough plant and it seems like it doesnt get cold enough in your tank for this to occur so idk. Sorry I couldnt be of much help. Its gotten down to 4c where I live and my maxima keeps growing like nothings happening. And the RH stays very low also, rarely going above 45%. Maybe, the leaves dont stay wet do they? Like when you water, do the leaves stay wet for long periods of time?

I dont mist my plants when I water them. I just pour the water directly into the pot. Also I hardly ever mist the plants, as the humidity is always at least 80% in the tank thanks to an ultrasonic humidifier. Maybe it's a fungal infection?

I'm at a complete loss here, and have noticed that the spots are now spreading to the next leaf above the one already affected. Also the leaf I showed in the pics above is now completely black and yellow, the pitcher is fine though and the vein running from the plant to the pitcher is also ok. I dunno whats going on here.

They don't look like typical fungal problems but that doesn't rule out either a fungus or bacteria. If the spots are getting bigger and new ones are popping up then it is not from some spray you applied 5 days ago, but instead is most likely from some pathogen. I would cut the leaves off and get rid of them asap. You may be able to remove just a spot with some green around it if it's just a small section of leaf, rather than the whole leaf. Any other plants showing any spots?

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the info. I'll go cut off that leaf asap. As for the other plants, they look fine and dont have any spots on them. Here's some pics of the leaf.

In the second pic it kinda looks like something was running off it by the way the coloring is on the leaf near the tip. Maybe the neem is to blame?

In the third pic, if you look at the leaf directly to the right of the infected one, you can see 2 small brown spots forming.

Back