What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying not to mess up...

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I am currently awaiting the delivery of an unrooted N. x Miranda from a generous member of this forum. I've never planted a basal before (except when one accidentally broke off rom a death cube and is thriving now). From the research I've done I currently have a pot of 2:1 LFS to Perlite made up, and plan on plant the basal about 2 inches deep. I will then put it in a plasticx bag in a well lit area...and under grow lights when i move back from school next weekend. Does all this soudn right? Any tips, suggestions, or cautions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Kyle

Vbkid, i believe the xMiranda is coming from me right?
i think i will go ahead and send you one of the rooted ones i have to save you the trouble if you would like ;)
unless you would like to give your hand at rooting one haha.
either way, i usually root them in either pure sphagnum or sphagnum and perlite...
ive also rooted cuttings in pure water, but with this being a basal cutting and not quite having the area you would with a typical vine cutting, youll just need to set the base of the step as far into the moss as you can without overdoing it...

Yes it is Kris, and I'm am perfectly happy with either rooted or unrooted. From what I've read the success of rooting a basal is pretty high. So I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything the best I could so that I could keep my odds good!

Back