What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building my new Nepenthes habitat

I'm kind of leaning towards one red-pitcher plant, one dark-pitcher plant, and one spotted/speckled-pitcher plant. So maybe a ventricosa (or cross), a ramispina (or cross) and then some sort of spectabilis, maxima, etc... (or cross). Although, there are actually a lot more options for the speckled one too.

I've always been more partial to hybrids, so my suggestion would definitely be to look at some N. spectabilis and/or N. maxima crosses, especially the former. There are some killer crosses with N. spectabilis, and due to the N. spectabilis parentage are generally easy to cultivate successfully.

xvart.

Yep, spectabilis are pretty great looking plants. I'm also rather partial to the Lady Pauline (talangensis x maxima) cross and a few others. I'll just have to see what I can find in stock. I'm starting to resign myself to probably having to do two orders, it's tricky to find everything in once place at the same time.

Do you think a boschiana cross would be fairly hardy? I've seen a couple of really nice crosses with those (typically involving lowii or veitchii) even though they're darker and the spotting is not as prominent.

With the latest adjustments, the cooler is running at a very nice 81-82 degrees.

leave some space for the more harder to keep species such as N Hamata assuming that you can manage to turn down the heat...

get yourself a nice little villosa and rajah. It will be a long wait, but a worthy one. :) Congratulations on the awsome new tank you made yourself. :)

Maybe later on when I've got more experience. Right now I figure I'll have my hands full just trying to keep my beginner's species happy and healthy.

I've placed my order, they should show up sometime next week (I asked for them not to ship until Monday after the worst of the cold weather passes locally). I tried to stick to known easy species and hybrids, plus some were just good deals that were too tempting to pass up.

N. truncata from Pasian (Highland form)
N. veitchii x boschiana
N. alata (t) "Giant x Luzon"
N. albomarginata "red speckled"
N. ventricosa x spectabilis
N. ventricosa x ephippiata

So, six plants total. I'll post pics once they have arrived. I also found an old desktop waterfall that I think my brother gave me long ago and have installed that inside the cooler to help further increase the humidity. Later on I may switch to a real humidifier or fogger but this should get the job done for now.

Desktop waterfall has raised my humidity to around 55% so I'm pretty happy with that. I picked up some pots today as I'm expecting the plants to arrive later in the week although I haven't gotten a shipping email yet. It's paid off quite nicely to befriend the lady that works at the nursery as I was able to take my pick of various empty plain plastic pots she had for free. I took the tallest 6" ones I could find so the bigger plants will be able to hang their pitchers down more.

I finally got the email notice that my plants shipped today! It's been forever waiting for the weather to stabilize with no significant chance of a cold snap during shipment.

Anyway, I desperately hope they arrive by Wednesday because I'm going out of town and that'll be my last chance to pot them before I leave. If they don't arrive by then I'm going to have to rig up a backup plan on short notice which I do NOT want to have to do.

The tank has stayed stable in the 55-58% humidity range all day, and higher after I mist, with a temp in the mid to upper 70's, so I'm very happy with the conditions.

Edit: my trip was postponed due to the ice storms in the midwest.

Last edited:
My plants arrived today, yay! I've got about another 2 hours before I get off work and I can start unwrapping and potting them. I'll post some pics later.

Back