What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish emulsion fert

Hey guys...I got myself a fert (Yates brand)...Main purpose for it is for my fern and orchid...but just wanna ask you guys if this fert can work for neps too. I never fertilize cause my neps use to wipe out colonies of ants:-)) But now i don't have any ants left in the house and i've observed that my neps overall health is just getting worse and worse...So i wanna start fertilizing my nep. The NPK value states nitrogen (N) 9.0% potassium (P) 2.0% and phosporous (K) 6.0% so its more on foliage growth right? Anyway here are some pictures which shows the fert i bought. They say use 10 ML for every 5litres for plants like orchids and ferns etc etc. I guess i should dilute it by half or 1/4 if i can use it. Some pictures are a little blurrish but i think its readable :)

DSC08211.jpg

DSC08210.jpg

What does the 60% w/w mean? the w/w particularly
DSC08209.jpg

DSC08208.jpg

Ken

LOL. Fortnightly? I didn't think that word was still used. Glad to see that it is though. It is a cool word IMO.

I bought some fish fert once and used it once. It seemed to do the job. I stopped using it though because it smelled so bad that the wife complained. I don't know if they all smell bad, but the one I bought sure did.

When I did use it I made up about a 1/8 strength solution and put a few drops in a pitcher or two on each plant IIR. I made it really dilute because I was nervous having never used fertilizer on my nepenthes before.

mixing in small batches deals with most the smell issues.....i personally think ferts like this are best for neps if your gonna pitcher feed as they likely are closer to natural food stuffs......rather than just the standard NPK it is also full of micro and macro nuits that would be present in insects and the like.....

I though it was supposed to be sprayed on the leaves? So i feed the pitchers only? Or both. So its confirmed usable?

What does the 60% w/w mean? the w/w particularly

It means it's a weight/weight percentage solution. In this case, it means of every 100 grams of the fertilizer, 60 grams are solid mass and 40 grams are liquid.

Sometimes you might see a w/v solution, which is weight/volume. For example, a 2% salt water w/v solution would have 2 grams of salt per 100 milliliters of water.

i always just feed the pitchers with it......not sure i would want to foliar feed with the stuff inside.....

I tried Alaskan Fish Emulsion for feeding my Sarracenia seedlings. If you are going to spray it for foliar feeding it's much too smelly for indoor use for most people. It would probably be okay indoors if you just feed the pitchers with an eyedropper, syringe or baster.

I tried Alaskan Fish Emulsion for feeding my Sarracenia seedlings. If you are going to spray it for foliar feeding it's much too smelly for indoor use for most people. It would probably be okay indoors if you just feed the pitchers with an eyedropper, syringe or baster.

thats what i use and thats my observations aswell............

Back