What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splitting a double growth point plant

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
I have a small AW faizaliana that has two growth points. One is smaller than the other, but it is a TC split between the two. The smaller growth point is kind of pinned beneath the larger growth point. I was going to divide the two plants when I received it, but when I removed all the soil I saw that the two growth points were attached to the same rootwad.

This differs of course from a basal, or a vine cutting. I'm just wondering, how much a plant can take having it's growth points split, if I were to divide the two. The plant is very healthy and adjusted to my conditions. I do feel like the smaller growth point is sort of stifled beneath the larger one though.

It would be nice to have two separate plants instead of one fun-fest.

Do you guys have experience in dividing plants that are in this situation? Would you recommend doing it?

If I were to do it, would it be better to do it now when the plant (s) are smaller or later when the plant is larger and has a thicker root system?

Thanks!

I just got a hamata from him like that and I'm not going to split it for these reasons:

I split off a miniscule, maybe 1cm wide N.flava basal before that has done nothing since (Clue has it...I assume it still isn't rooted/doing anything)

I got a clump of jacq off AW before that was one plant that was about 1.5 cm across and 3 small 1cm across plantlets each with separate roots. While unbagging, I decided to break up the bunch and pot them up separately - one of them died, the other two didn't look so hot for a while even while being in Nepenthes-ICU. I still have one, that barely has three leaves. Amph has another that I don't know what it's doing right now..

Can you post of a pic of the plant(s)? I'm not getting a good feeling for size here..but if it were me I'd wait to split them up til it at least acclimates for a few months in my conditions so it doesn't have too many stressors at the same time.

Thanks for the input thez. I'll post pics as soon as I get home!

1.) This differs from a basal in that the plant looks like a "Y" :scratch: I was thinking that if I split it, it would potentially already have roots on both sections, evenly. IDK though!

2.) That is a sad story, I remember seeing those plants. :( This Nep appears to be totally acclimated to my conditions, and if AW is right, it should be less finicky than jacquelineae.

But you're right! It's hard to accurately give an answer until I post a pic, I will do so tonight. :)

Should I spit this plant? For some reason I feel compelled to do so, sooner than later. However if someone thinks I shouldn't then I might not.

DSCN5749.jpg

DSCN5750.jpg

Way too small - I'd say wait. I'm wary of taking cuttings from my own Neps, and many of them are several feet wide. Unless you're potentially going to make the cost of the plant back by selling that basal, I don't see much reason why you should do it right now. If you're really concerned about the possibility of smothering, gently repot the whole arrangement so that the smaller point is in a better position.
Maybe this will make you feel a little better - I had a set of three TC seedlings, and the one in the middle was quickly overgrown by its two larger siblings. But, some two years later, I noticed little green pitchers poking up from under the leaves of the big ones, and what do you know - it's the shrimpy one come back for round two.
~Joe

Ive split up growth points from my ventricosa whenever ive seen them and they've been fine...but then again thats a vent and i wasnt too concerned that it wouldnt make it. i would just wait, no rush right?

Looks to me like it has its own root system - the tiny little bud to the right. Would I split it if it were my plant? Probably not. I like bushy plants rather than tall spindly ones but if that's the look you're going for you may just want to consider splitting them up.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Way too small - I'd say wait. Unless you're potentially going to make the cost of the plant back by selling that basal, I don't see much reason why you should do it right now. If you're really concerned about the possibility of smothering, gently repot the whole arrangement so that the smaller point is in a better position.
Maybe this will make you feel a little better - I had a set of three TC seedlings, and the one in the middle was quickly overgrown by its two larger siblings. But, some two years later, I noticed little green pitchers poking up from under the leaves of the big ones, and what do you know - it's the shrimpy one come back for round two.
~Joe

I was thinking it would be nice to have one of the growth points be available for trade or sale or something like that. I am a little hesitant to hack up a newer plant as well... The issue I see is that the larger growth point will no doubt keep producing larger leaves, the next will be directly over the smaller growth point, so there's no real "better position" to work with I think. :scratch:

I'm not worried that the smaller point wont make it - I'm sure it will. :p I just am afraid it wont be all that it could be if I don't split it? But I do take your words of caution to heart.

Ive split up growth points from my ventricosa whenever ive seen them and they've been fine...but then again thats a vent and i wasnt too concerned that it wouldnt make it. i would just wait, no rush right?

You're right this isn't a ventricosa, even though I'm pretending it is since it was the cheapest AW plant I got. :p There is no rush! I'm just a fidgety monkey.

Looks to me like it has its own root system - the tiny little bud to the right. Would I split it if it were my plant? Probably not. I like bushy plants rather than tall spindly ones but if that's the look you're going for you may just want to consider splitting them up.

You bring up a good point... It's not like I have infinite space.

I guess the real question I have is, do you think the smaller bud would make it?

I did that to my northiana and both died..

The way to reposition is to re-pot or simply turn the plant/container on it's side. This allows light to reach the smaller point. the larger point will survive and start to grow upward while the smaller gets the boost it needs. You can also wrap the smaller point in some fresh sphagnum to encourage that root bud to keep developing.

XD

I did that to my northiana and both died..

Oh no. 8-| Well then maybe I shouldn't.

The way to reposition is to re-pot or simply turn the plant/container on it's side. This allows light to reach the smaller point. the larger point will survive and start to grow upward while the smaller gets the boost it needs. You can also wrap the smaller point in some fresh sphagnum to encourage that root bud to keep developing.

XD

This is sounding like a better idea. Maybe I will just grow it out as is, and let it develop the roots some more. I don't know why I just felt compelled to hack it in half. :p

The lure of the dark side, I mean, having more plants is great. Use the force or something.

Back