What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal Separation--Did I do this right?

I just removed the basal from my N. spectabilis x talangensis. It was getting really big, and I had avoided removing it for some time. I have never rooted anything before, and I was afraid of killing it. Nevertheless, the deed is now done. What I really want to know is whether I did it right (and if not, how do I fix it?)

I was told that if the plant was already used to low humidity it could be left to root without bagging it up, so that's what I'm doing currently. Is that correct? I would really prefer to do it that way if bagging isn't necessary, but I wanted to get some opinions first. I am very fond of this plant and don't want to mess up with this initial rooting attempt.

Now for some pictures...

I used a pair of scissors to cut it at an angle:

168123_486991821774_654101774_6133252_5189812_n.jpg

166115_486991251774_654101774_6133249_4348358_n.jpg

I cut off the bottom two leaves and inserted the stem up to that point into the soil (sorry for the blur, but you get the idea):

162634_486991666774_654101774_6133251_801669_n.jpg

And last but not least, the latest pitcher from the mother plant which hasn't had a chance to color up yet:

168620_486993251774_654101774_6133274_7943416_n.jpg

I always clip the base with some scissors, soak the cut end in some distilled water for about 5 minutes, dip the cut in one of my numerous types of rooting hormone, and plant.
Good luck.. it's a great looking division/plant. Whoever you decided to trade it to after you backed out on our deal is a lucky person. I'm jealous..

Looks ok to me. Some rooting hormone wouldn't hurt. Sometimes you can get lucky and the basal will have it's own root system making dividing much easier. I typically cut the mother and leave the basal. In my experience the basal grows much more vigorous then the "mother" plant. Very nice plant you have there. I too would be interested if you end up trading it!

Looking good! :-D I feel like we're having a race with this cross and your definitely winning. :p

It looks like such a healthy basal, it should have a good chance of setting. Mass pretty much summed it up what you should do.

I've always kind of had decent luck with cuttings
Some made it some didn't

But since I've started keeping my cuttings in High Humidity conditions I've had a lot better luck with them taking

A couple of my cutting set ups

Good Luck / Definitely An Awesome Looking Plant
DC

But since I've started keeping my cuttings in High Humidity conditions I've had a lot better luck with them taking

Once potted, I bag and mist them until they've put out at least 1 new leaf.

Once potted, I bag and mist them until they've put out at least 1 new leaf.

I never tried bagging them
Usually just kept them in my greenhouse which I keep the humidity high in
But since I started keeping them in covered tanks I went from maybe a 60 to 70% success rate to a 85 To 95% success rate

Just keep it in the same conditions as the mother plant, it should do fine. Make sure the soil isnt overly wet. If it is theres a chance that it'll cause it to rot from the bottom up. I root all my cuttings the same way I grow my mother plants. The only ones i've lost have been due to me forgetting to water them and they dry up completely. It looks very healthy so I dont think you'll have any problems with it.

I noticed the leaves looked a little warped today and the lids on the pitchers had drooped. Is that normal?

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! I don't have any rooting hormone or I'd use it--I'll have to remember to get some for future cuttings.

Dex: If this is a race, then I'd say the runner-up prize is still pretty darn awesome. I love this hybrid! :)

Mass: Don't worry--you've got more plants than I can count to keep you company in its stead. Plus, really, this is probably my fastest growing plant. I wouldn't be surprised if I had more basals/cuttings to trade in the future.

I'm waiting till it gets larger, then trying to cut a basal of my Ventricosa.

Sounds normal to me. I cut all the pitchers off, and will cut really long leaves in half if there are any. It helps keep the stress on the plant to a minimum.

I too use the bag method. I use a one gallon freezer bag. I'll have a wrap of damp LFS tied to the cut end.

I noticed the leaves looked a little warped today and the lids on the pitchers had drooped. Is that normal?

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! I don't have any rooting hormone or I'd use it--I'll have to remember to get some for future cuttings.

Dex: If this is a race, then I'd say the runner-up prize is still pretty darn awesome. I love this hybrid! :)

Mass: Don't worry--you've got more plants than I can count to keep you company in its stead. Plus, really, this is probably my fastest growing plant. I wouldn't be surprised if I had more basals/cuttings to trade in the future.

Yes and no. Some cuttings will not change in appearance when you take them. They will just stop growing for a while before they start growing and producing roots. Others will get all sad looking like you described. When this happens I usually do as Frilleon mentions and cut off pitchers and the larger leaves in half. The bagging method is up to you. I personally dont use the method if the cuttings comes from a plant thats used to low humidity. Sometimes i'll even spray the plants with water at night so they can feel a bit of a humidity increase at night. Just to make myself feel better, never actually experimented to see if it makes a difference.

Back