What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa Troubles

I've had this N. ventricosa for almost a 18 months now and it's starting to show signs of discomfort. Pests? It doesn't look like it. I'm wondering if the roots were becoming soggy from the old media. I transplanted it into fresh LFS and orchid bark like the rest of my plants. My daytime temps range from 72-78 F and nights fall into the lower 60s F. Humidity hang around 60%.

Here you can see the bubbly texture the new leaves have taken. Also, the latest leaf looks weak and thin. Any suggestions?

Here is my grow area:

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably caused from the old media and the repot...the next leaf will probably be normal.

Thanks Exo.

My guess is the old growing media was saturated with dissolved solids. We'll see what the next leaf looks like in a few weeks.

I agree, a repot will probably do the trick. The temp and humidity ranges seem good, thought N. ventricosa can't take a fair bit of abuse in that aspect.

What's the nice red leafed plant Nep you have?

Give it some time to rebound - it sounds like you've done the right thing already. My plants sometimes get that leathery texture to their leaves when they're a little too dry or warm, so if that showed up after the repot it could just be that the roots need time to adjust to the new media.
~Joe

@ Soop - You mean this little one?

This is my newest Nep. A pretty N. "Black Knight". I've only had it for about a month, so I can't take too much credit :)

@seed - The curly leaf and blisters came before the re-pot. I'm hoping the new media will help! Crossing my fingers. This was my first Nep. It started as a 4'' seedling.

Yes!

I love the deep red color of the leaves. Such a beautiful contrast to the typical green. I'll have to look into getting one.

Yes, your plant is looking not too bad. As others have said it should resume healthy growth soon.

If you think your ventricosa is worse for wear you haven't seen mine! :-))

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. It's not pretty but I don't think it's at risk either - with a little patience it should come right around. Way to be decisive. :)
~Joe

Back