What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ventricosa - spots on leaves, possible fungus on soil

When feeding a bug to my Nep today, I noticed some spots on the leaves. And then when taking pictures, I noticed some light grey stuff on the soil. I noticed a small amount before and might have sprayed it with a sulfur-based fungicide, I can't remember for sure. But I saw a lot more today.

IMG_8915.JPG

IMG_8917.JPG

IMG_8918.JPG

IMG_8919.JPG

IMG_8920.JPG

IMG_8923.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG

I grow it up in that glass block window. My initial thought was that the south-facing glass block window can magnify the light at certain points when it shines in, burning parts. And I was thinking that's what's turning the soil a dark burnt color.

Then I saw the grey stuff under the plant.

I would say the humidity is right around or just under 50%. I did let it get a little dry once a week or so ago, and I have started feeding it boxelders. Three or four in total.

Should I spray with my sulfur-based fungicide? Neem? Repot? It's been in the same pot and soil since July '09. I noticed the soil turning black in March '10.

Oh, and I water with RO water and it drains out the bottom.

I think a repot is in order....that is probably the cause of both problems.....that soil looks...dead.

I'm also having trouble with my ventricosa at the moment. I think a re-pot is definitely in order in your situation. The media look condensed and possibly not allowing much air to the roots. I think this was the same problem i was having.

When I first saw your grey growth, I thought about circulation? Is the air pretty stagnant next to the glass? Good air circulation would probably stunt the growth of that grey fuzzy stuff.

I hope this helps and good luck! Wait for the more experienced growers to chime in, they're real helpful.

I think a repot is in order....that is probably the cause of both problems.....that soil looks...dead.

Quick question: last time I repotted it, I didn't break up the orchid bark into small pieces. Should I have? I had big chunks in there.

Quick question: last time I repotted it, I didn't break up the orchid bark into small pieces. Should I have? I had big chunks in there.

It might be a good idea to make them a bit smaller this time....it will prove more drainage through the entire mix.

Back