What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooted cutting question

I received a rooted cutting almost a year ago as a freebie in a trade. It was a 2 node rooted cutting. One above ground, one below. The problem is that the stalk above the leaf has dried to the point that I think the node above the leaf has died or at least will most likely never activate.

The leaf is fine and green and the root system has progressed nicely and continues to expand. However with no node above ground to activate I think this cutting may be a lost cause.

What are the odds a basal could form from the healthy root systems? Has anyone ever had this issue before? I'll keep growing this one until it goes brown, just want to know if I should have any hope that it will ever be anything other than a leaf with roots.

You know, I've never been in this particular situation before, but I would say that if it has roots, it can't be a totally lost cause.

Why can't you raise the node out of the soil?

If the plant has healthy roots, I am surprised it doesn't have any growth. ???

I just had a cutting finally start growing after 4 or more months of not growing... the growing tip even blackened, and it refused to grow roots for a long time, surviving off of only one leaf. If mine could finally start growing, I don't know why yours would have an issue with a full root system going.

Just have faith and keep your conditions good. If the node can be raised above the substrate line than I say you might want to do that.

I'll see if I can do that. Thanks.

I'm interested in some Nep 'experts' adding some insights from their experience on this one - so I'll be watching ...

You know, I've never been in this particular situation before, but I would say that if it has roots, it can't be a totally lost cause.
Like you, I have no experience in this actual situation - but I do have some experience with Sarracenia, that I found hard to believe. Over here in this thread are pics & details but a quick summary:

- pulled & planted pitchers
- roots grew - some were 6" or more
- never produced topside growth
- plants eventually died

When Barry wrote up the process iirc, he actually had a name for the condition.

Hopefully Neps are different ....

Back