What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New N. "Marbled Dragon"

• Thread starter DETHCHEEZ
  • Start date
Just got this today :banana2:

It has about an 11in leaf span
&
The pitcher is about 6 1/4in tall

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot find any grex record for the name, N. (Marbled Dragon), or any other record of the name. Can you tell us anything more about this plant?

IIRC, there's several "_____ Dragon" crosses, and they're all N. truncata hybrids, maybe. I think some of them are unknown though but "speculated" to be like such and such, in this case, apparently N. maxima x truncata.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I had only checked the Nepenthes grex registry. The CP Photo Finder describes it as an unofficial name as a possible hybrid between N. maxima (dark) x truncata = N. "Marbled Dragon". The CP Photo Finder lists it in double quotes because, as a name, it has no official status, no more than any nickname would.

Cool, looks like a great addition

DETHCHEEZ,
Nepenthes "Marbled Dragon" is a nice looking plant, regardless of its name status.

I grow maxima dark x truncata which is slightly different than your plant. Im sure they will behave the same. Beastly plant! I grow mine on a windowsill and its gotten quite large and spat out a basal as well. Your gonna love it.

The Nepenthes grex registry has a list for pending registries (registries that have been submitted, and that are, yet incomplete, for whatever reason). I cannot find N. Marbled Dragon on either the grex registry list or the pending list. I hope that EP will do the right thing and get this beautiful plant an official name.

Personally I really don't care about all that

Absolutely NO offence meant by that statement / I know a lot of people do
But a plant is a plant to me / I really don't care about the "Name" of it & if it is "Official" or not

But looking at the Grex list & what all of the requirements are to get a plant registered
Maybe since they don't know exactly what the parent plants are {N. Maxima Dark X Truncata ???}
They can't get it registered as an official Grex???

I see that they {EP} have a lot of their other "Dragon" plants registered
I would think that they would do the same for "Marbled" if they could
But hey what do I know

Official -vs- Unofficial Names

DETHCHEEZ,
I agree, if I like a plant, and can locate it, I will grow it, regarless of its name status.

^*^*^*^*^*^*

With unofficial names:
Imagine that you are visiting a botanical garden and you see the most amazing and desirable Nepenthes plant you've ever seen. You know you won't be able to get any from the botanical garden. So you ask them what it is called and where they got it, thinking you'd like to grow it too. They say, it's called N. "Slim Beast", and they got it from NN, back in 1984. Well, you know that NN went out of business in 1985, so you know you'll need to look somewhere else. You check your references, CP Photo Finder, CP Database, and ICPS Cultivar Registrations list. You only see it listed in the CP Photo Finder, it's in double quotes, so you know it's not a valid registered cultivar, and when you go to its individual page, you see no lineage, or any other identifying information, just a list of a few jpg images hosted on two or three different photobucket accounts. So you look at the various images posted there, thinking that maybe you can find a photo that resembles the plant you saw at the botanical garden, locate the owner, and obtain a cutting or division. But after carefully examining each and every photo, you realize that not a single one of these N. "Slim Beast" photos even remotely resembles the one you saw at the botanical garden. Obviously unofficial names; pet names; or nicknames for plants can be disappointing.

With Official Names:
Imagine that on your next visit to the same botanical garden you again see the same kind of amazing and desirable Nepenthes plant. You ask and are told they aren't propagating this particular plant. Then they tell you that it is the registered cultivar, N. 'Slammin Beast' which they obtained in 1984 from NN. And, of course, NN went out of business in 1985, so they’re no longer a source. You again check your references, CP Photo Finder, CP Database, and ICPS Cultivar Registrations list. But this time you discover N. ‘Slammin Beast’ is listed with all three, and the ICPS Cultivar Registration list has links to the published description and standard photograph. The description and standard match the plant you saw almost exactly. Woo Hoo, now you’re getting somewhere. You discover that several nurseries also carry this cultivar and theirs appear to match the official cultivar description, so you purchase mature plants from three different nurseries. On arrival, two of them appear to be the plant you’ve been looking for, N. ‘Slammin Beast’. But one looks entirely different, so you contact the nursery that one came from, explain to them the problem (the plant they sent does not match the standard), and they apologize for the mix-up and exchange the wrong plant for the right one. Now you have three specimens of N. ‘Slammin Beast’, and you enjoy them for the next thirty years.

Without the official published standards, anyone can call any plant by any name, with impunity. Once a cultivar description is officially published, plants that don't match the description can be excluded by anyone who can objectively compare descriptions to live plants.

Back