What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got a killer deal on this MONSTER!

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
I was at a local garden center yesterday looking for a pot for my extremely rootbound Golden Barrel Cactus, which unfortunately proved unfruitful. :-(

Not the point of this story. I had already received a N. x "Deroose Alata" as a gift from somebody from this nursery, and had also seen them selling N. x "Miranda" in the past, but never felt like coughing up the $50+ they were asking for them. Still being Mid-winter here in Cleveland, the selection of plants in general was pretty small, but, while browsing the clearance section I came across this whopper!

It took about 30 minutes to trim all dead foliage away, and there certainly were no pitchers as it is winter, and they had it growing on the bottom rack underneath all the other clearance plants. Needless to say, I'm stunned. The largest leaves on the plant are as large as my forearm, and the plant easily has 10+ growth points. I'm excited to see what it will do this summer once we start getting a longer photo period, and the temps warm up so I can hang it under a shady tree outside.

And now for the kicker. This was all mine for $25! I've paid way more money for much smaller, less impressive Nepenthes. I can't wait to see what this thing is gonna do!

Im jealous, i saw a similar plant for 35 euro at a gardencenter yesterday but i could not take it with me on my scooter :(

That thing is a beast and looks healthy as a champion! Great find Davy.

I got one almost identical to that for 35. When I asked to use their pruning shears before I left, the nursery staff seemed confused, haha.
There were sooooo many dead leaves, ohmy.
Then I carried it around all day, back to school, then to my house. Got the craziest looks.

Oooh, yeah, it looks like mine!
Well...mine hadn't been watered in like forever and was all wilty and ready to die, so I got it for 14 bucks. And then I cut away all the dead and all the super broken leaves. I can't wait to see it in the summer :grin:

Nice Miranda (looks like it from here anyway). The biggest pitchers I got offa my old one was only 14"! :D

My old one was grown in a showerstall with sliding front glass and 400W metal halide bulb over it with all my other huge Neps like bical and truncata.

Massive!

Wow better not let it pitcher, or else your pets/kids/roommates might go missing. :0o:

Wow, nice!
Was that the only one?
In October, my one local nursery had them(pitchering) for around $30. I kept having to remind myself I already had a Miranda.

There was one more available. It was only $20, and was a bit larger, but was also very leggy.

Leggy?

Yeah. Opposite being bushy. It was very long and lanky, not compact and shrubby.

Here's a real kick in the ***

A buddy of mine that buys plants from me & "Was" starting to get in to Neps
Got a HUGE Miranda at a Lowe's for $8 marked down from like $38.50 / No idea why???
He brought it over to show me / I trimmed it up for him
Then he tells me "They have another one, I should have bought it, could have traded it with you for some plants"
You can bet I hauled *** over to Lowe's, but it was gone before for I got there
&
Now for the major kicker
He Pretty Much Killed It

I am currently trying to salvage what was left of it via cuttings
The soil they had it in was cr@p & God knows what he did to it
Most of it was brown & rotting

What a Waste Of What WAS a Very Nice Looking Plant

@DETHCHEEZ

I feel your pain... I saw THREE TRAYS of CP's at Lowes... too bad most of them are going to die... I would have saved them, but at 7$s a pop and me being a freshmen in highschool... it ain't gonna work out...

halt if they have noticable signs of distress, leaf burn or anything like that bring it to one of the garden center ppl and i know here they give it to me for a dollar, just point out its condition they would usually throw it out but if u say i may be able to save it back home in my terrarium they usually jsut give it away for a buck. Ive gotten several nep. that were for sure a loss but they came back.

Back