What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes peltata question

thez_yo

instigator
I'm sick of seeing just Drosera peltata as a topic, so how about Nepenthes peltata too :lol:

Who else is growing it? How are you growing it (temps)? I thought mine was going to kick the bucket again immediately (had to have it resent from AW because the first one just like... disappeared in a week!) but surprisingly not. It has survived a San Diego winter so far, which is actually too chilly for N. peltata given where it's from (it's more intermediate than highland). Here's a pic of mine... I want to see other people's pics too :-D

(sorry it looks so bad :cry:)
P2190034.jpg

P2190035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like one of my N. rajah a few weeks after i got it.

I've had mine since November I think. It's gone from the size of a penny to the size of a nickel, so while it is getting bigger, it's taking a long time. I have mine in the greenhouse which is supposed to be at intermediate temperatures, but because my heater broke, it's only marginally warmer than outside. It still has the pitchers it came with and is currently working on another.

Hi,

I got mine in November, and it is kept bagged on a north-facing windowsill. Since it is the dark time of year, I have it below fluorescent tubes to give it decent light. I can't say I have measured the temperature where it grows, but I'd still say it is about intermediate to warm. It has produced about one leaf each month. Here's a recent photo of it:

peltata1.jpg

Regards,

Christer

Ah, ok thanks for the picture - it does always have leaves that look sort of brown then.

Well, I guess I'll impatiently wait for it to warm up and hope it takes off then. Unfortunately it's supposed to be no warmer than 15C during the day for another week :(

Thez, do you happen to know if the plants are TC'ed or seed grown? Since its from AW, I'd assume the former, but I remember someone saying that the N. edwardsiana are from seed.

Thez, do you happen to know if the plants are TC'ed or seed grown? Since its from AW, I'd assume the former, but I remember someone saying that the N. edwardsiana are from seed.

I have absolutely no idea... sorry ???

I don't know if Andreas might have this species in TC, but I know that Thomas Gronemeyer did supply him with a limited number of seed-raised plants to sell from his webshop late last year.

Regards,

Christer

I don't know if Andreas might have this species in TC, but I know that Thomas Gronemeyer did supply him with a limited number of seed-raised plants to sell from his webshop late last year.

Regards,

Christer

I get the feeling mine is seed grown. I had both N. peltata and N. hamiguitanensis sent to me late last year, but they died because they went into severe shock, which is a travesty considering I think both were seed grown from Thomas. I had a N. peltata resent and the one in my picture here is that resend. Still waiting for another N. hamiguitanensis because it's the love of my life... :love:.

[Edit: Don't forget plant names have two parts, otherwise "peltata" could possibly be referring to: Nymphoides peltata, Lallemantia peltata, Darmera peltata, Drosera peltata, Saxifraga peltata, or Loasa peltata, among others sharing this same specific epithet. Keeping plant names, binomial, helps avoid possible confusion.]

I really do just have to chime in and say that:

The fact that the topic of discussion in this thread (which is within the Nepenthes subforum) is explicitly lableled, "N. peltata question" would, to me, make any reference to "peltata" within said thread so obviously in reference to Nepenthes peltata that correcting the nomenclature by adding an "N" in front of the word seems absurdly and unnecessarily nit-picky.

Also, the hypocritical nature of your editing, Joseph, is entirely too blatant. You edit thez's post by saying, "N. peltata and N. hamiguitanensis, not peltata and hamiguitanensis", yet then go on to explain that there are other N. peltata it could be referring to, such as Nymphoides peltata, your very first example.

This in no way clarified the nomenclature for anyone reading this thread.

If you are going to incessantly correct nomenclature in every post, actually do it.

It's not N. peltata, it's Nepenthes peltata. Otherwise I could just as easily think that we were discussing expensive Yellow floatinghearts in the Nepenthes subforum of a forum that focuses primarily on discussing carnivorous plants.:rolleyes:

I get the feeling mine is seed grown. I had both N. peltata and N. hamiguitanensis sent to me late last year, but they died because they went into severe shock, which is a travesty considering I think both were seed grown from Thomas. I had a N. peltata resent and the one in my picture here is that resend. Still waiting for another N. hamiguitanensis because it's the love of my life... :love:.

[Edit: Don't forget plant names have two parts, otherwise "peltata" could possibly be referring to: Nymphoides peltata, Lallemantia peltata, Darmera peltata, Drosera peltata, Saxifraga peltata, or Loasa peltata, among others sharing this same specific epithet. Keeping plant names, binomial, helps avoid possible confusion.]

OK, I guess I'll have to reign in my lazy-computer-programmer self :p

I really do just have to chime in and say that:

The fact that the topic of discussion in this thread (which is within the Nepenthes subforum) is explicitly lableled, "N. peltata question" would, to me, make any reference to "peltata" within said thread so obviously in reference to Nepenthes peltata that correcting the nomenclature by adding an "N" in front of the word seems absurdly and unnecessarily nit-picky.

Also, the hypocritical nature of your editing, Joseph, is entirely too blatant. You edit thez's post by saying, "N. peltata and N. hamiguitanensis, not peltata and hamiguitanensis", yet then go on to explain that there are other N. peltata it could be referring to, such as Nymphoides peltata, your very first example.

This in no way clarified the nomenclature for anyone reading this thread.

If you are going to incessantly correct nomenclature in every post, actually do it.

It's not N. peltata, it's Nepenthes peltata. Otherwise I could just as easily think that we were discussing expensive Yellow floatinghearts in the Nepenthes subforum of a forum that focuses primarily on discussing carnivorous plants.:rolleyes:

So you're complaining that Joseph wrecks threads by posting in people's posts about nomenclature, by wrecking my thread with your post about nomenclature and *not* about Nepenthes peltata? :poke:

dexenthes,
You can read my answer, here.

So you're complaining that Joseph wrecks threads by posting in people's posts about nomenclature, by wrecking my thread with your post about nomenclature and *not* about Nepenthes peltata? :poke:

I am sorry Thez. I wrecked your thread. :(

I haven't grown this plant and I don't know anyone that does, so I shouldn't have even commented in this thread all I can do is provide you with a picture from photofinder that I am sure you have already seen.

:crap:

p1110852_1.jpg

I am sorry Thez. I wrecked your thread. :(

I haven't grown this plant and I don't know anyone that does, so I shouldn't have even commented in this thread all I can do is provide you with a picture from photofinder that I am sure you have already seen.

:crap:

Awww thanks! :hug:

:-D

Does anyone currently grow the Borneo Exotics clone of N. Peltata? Has it been an easy/fast grower? Photos would be great!

I'm growing. still small around 9 cm in diameter. received it around 6 weeks ago. so far it's pushed 2 new leaves with the first developing it's first pitcher. I would say it's a medium grower. not 100% sure if it's my conditions that are slowing it down but it's definitely seems happy. didn't really sulk I would say. its potted in coco husk perlite and sphagnum. day time temps up to around 28 Celsius and night time went down to 5 in the winter and now around 15. humidity around 80% during the day and 90% at night.

Back