What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes rajah care

I was wondering if N. rajah is a plant that you can grow in intermidiate conditions or is this another one with, really specific needs?
Thanks in advance
Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two.. one growing in HL conditions, and another growing in intermediate. Both are doing well, but the one in the intermediate seems to be growing at a faster pace.

Apparently N. rajah is one of those plants that grows faster in day temps that are a bit higher than other ultrahighland nepenthes species. 80F or so seems to be optimal. BUt it is important that night temps are low atleast 15-20F lower and high humidity which it seems to need for good growth.

..and high humidity which it seems to need for good growth.

I'd have to agree, considering my faster paced intermediate grown Nepenthes rajah get's higher humidity than my HL grown specimen. About 20% higher..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same experience....80F days and 55F nights seem to be optimal.

Thank you all very much, i think i can manage those conditions, i might just get one :)

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Also i would like to no what kind of (cheap) humidifier i could use for my new rajah and would work well in my room.

check your humidifier thread..I posted the humidifier I use with good success (in my old setup it worked magnificently...still working on tweaking my new setup...but the rajah is already showing good signs...faster growth). Also IMO, rajah like almost all highland neps (some seem to be more tolerant) especially like argentii (This one is picky...IT REQUIRES), hamata, macrophylla and villosa NEED good air circulation. But the catch is that they want high humidity too. They hate stale air. I have lost my thriving argentii, macrophylla and the hamata is looking bad too...due to stale air and media that doesn't dry out.
I started using the humidifier again and air movement seems to definitely help the plants....espcially if humidity is still 70% inspite of the air movement.

On my old HL chamber I had a 4" diameter flexible aluminum ducting (dryer vent hose) running to a window. At the window end of the duct there is a 4" PC fan blowing in towards the tank. This pulls cool air from outside the window, the windows surface (in winter) or a window air conditioner (in summer) to give the HL plants cool fresh air. Before the incoming air reaches the chamber the duct is intercepted by a hose coming from the output of an ultrasonic humidifier and this "fogs up" the incoming air before it empties into the chamber. The plants are bathed in swirling cool moist air. I run the humidifier on a humidistat set at 80% and the fan and humidifier both run 24/7/365.

That's how I ran my first HL chamber for about 6 years and is how I will be running my new double stack of HL chambers once the weather is warm enough to start gluing them together outside.

Back