What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month contest March 2011

PITCHER OF THE MONTH CONTEST March 2011

CONTEST BEGINS TODAY!

Rules of Entry:
1. Only ONE (1) PITCHER per member may be entered in any particular month.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
4. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 03/31/11
5. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
6. If, for some reason, a single pitcher cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher entered must be clearly identified in your post.
7. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo.
8. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
9. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 04/01/11, closing 04/07/11 and using the Condorcet Internet Voting Service (Beatpath/Schulze/CSSD completion rule). The THREE (3) most popular entries (... according to "proportional representation" ... http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/...rtional.html10) will be considered "Winners" and the first place winner will be posted in the 'Hall of Fame" sub-board.
** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!

Contest will be closed on March 31st at 12:00AM EST
Good luck!!

I'll be the first entry. My female N. Tenuis. The pitcher that I'm entering is the biggest and nicest one.

b-149.jpg

c-128.jpg

d-112.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, please look to rule number 6 for your entry..

Here is my entry for the month. N. xSplendiana x xMixta. Got this as a seedling and it is turning into one of my favorite Nepenthes.

splendianaxmixta.jpg

I noticed this morning that the newest pitcher on my N. jamban was mostly done opening and looked quite colorful, so ...
Njambantop030611RS.jpg

When I finished taking a few pics, I'd heard that the fluid in these pitchers can be quite thick so I stuck my finger in to see. When I pulled it up, there was a stream of slime ~1/8" across. When I retrieved my camera and did it again, the strand was much thinner (figures :censor: ). Once done snapping the pic, I pulled my finger out of the 40 gallon tank and the strand kept stretching but wouldn't break. It stretched at least two feet!.
NjambanslimeRS.jpg

I would enter mine and ecsacialy becase it is pitchering it's first pitcher since i got it three months ago and i can't because it hasn't been in my hand for six months.

Awesome Ron! Can't wait til I have a jamban with pitchers that size!

I remember when I spilled my N. inermis climbing vines pitchers. A looong strand of pitcher snot with half digested cricket exoskeletons all over me stretching to the floor in one big strand! :puke:

I could actually fit my jamban inside your jamban pitcher.. lol

I have an alata that has fluid like snot. Accidentally spilled it yesterday.. ~ack~

I forgot I was gonna finally get to enter something, I've had my few Neps of my restarted collection for at least 6 months to almost a year now but none have made any really impressive pitchers (young plants) until the latest one on my generic speckled Nepenthes ampullaria. It's the biggest I've ever gotten so far from this species. So I thought I'd post this one, it opened last week and is now fully expanded I would say. It lives planted in the substrate of my 40 gallon crab tank so maybe more root room lets it's pitchers get bigger than when bound up in a 6" pot...

Nepenthes ampullaria (speckled form)

mar1.jpg

mar2.jpg

mar3.jpg

only because dionae said," wow!".. N. ventricosa x (thorelli x aristolochoides)

100_7328.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my entry, my Konak (albomarginata x veitchii) :).

full pitcher...
5510758132_df5898fc93_b.jpg

closer...
5510758326_a10322a16b_b.jpg

even closer....
5510156005_2013bf1753_b.jpg

LOVE IT robthered.. LOVE IT.

I SECOND THAT, what a plant i love the wings.....i love it i love it i love it

Thanks guys :). I was also surprised by the wings on the plant.

Wow, Rob! That's a beauty :0o:

Here's another clone of N. jamban Ron. Hope u don't mind the competition. ;)

5516423743_aaa53ceb4d_z.jpg

Nepenthes glabrata.

2.JPG

ironically i think i will be entering a jamban as well...
Lol

Back