What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

red leaves

boxofrain

does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
How Y'all are!?
I have a question about my Nepenthes maxima
It is growing nicely now after one month in my care. Butt, the new leaves are a red color, very turgid and healthy looking otherwise. I am wondering if this is normal for new growth or is there something missing in my environment?
I have searched the forums but have yet to find any info on this.
Thanks for the help folks.
My conditions are this; 14 hours of cfl t-5's, day temps between 70*- 80* F., night temps go to 60*-65*, humidity in daytime hovers at 65%-70%, at night the humidity goes up to 80% and beyond.

Last edited:
Red(ish) leaves are quite normal in higher light imho.

Yes, most species create red leaves when grown in very bright light....thing of it as a bit like a suntan. ;)

I do have the plant within 6 inches of the T5's, as are most of the plants I grow. Should I move the redder plant to a more subdued area of the rack? It is growing very fast!

I do have the plant within 6 inches of the T5's, as are most of the plants I grow. Should I move the redder plant to a more subdued area of the rack? It is growing very fast!

No...if it's growing fast that means it's happy..if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Red leaves is not bad, my best pitchering plant is half red, once there are brown spots, then its bad.

N. maxima from Tentena can have extremely red leaves under enough light:

NEP-MAX-2.jpg

Yes, that is the one I have.
And after seeing that pic from jurow...I am not worried now.....I am elated!
Thanks all!

Back