What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please ID this Nepenthes

Got this plant labeled as Nepenthes maxima x truncata. But the pitcher is not like those shown in CPphoto, since the main difference is that mine has the spike under the lid. Here are pics of my pitcher:

The pitcher is an upper-pitcher. And you can see the spike under the lid.
IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6027.jpg

Here is the leave:
IMG_6037.jpg

Please tell me whether it is N. maxima x truncata? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be too small to show the the keel(?) under the lid. So it might be that is has to make bigger pitchers to show that trait.

Thanks for quick reply. I mean, mine has the spike under the lid, but I didn't seen such spikes from those shown in the CPphotofinder.

It might be too small to show the the keel(?) under the lid. So it might be that is has to make bigger pitchers to show that trait.

Perhaps yours originated from a specimen that does have a spike under the lid?

The form of it, to my eyes, sure seems like it could be N. maxima x truncata. But without coloration or lower pitchers I don't really have a definitive input.

I agree with Decenthes. Looking at the leaves in the background, the plant seems to have N. truncata heritage. The uppers the plant is producing looking incredibly similar to those produced by my N. "Velvet", which is N. maxima x fusca. N. maxima and N. fusca are very similar looking plants, therefore, I would feel confident in saying that the plant is probably marked correctly. Plus, it could always be seed grown or a different clone. N. maxima is an incredibly variable species, so it is very possible that the traits were displayed differently.

Thanks all of you. Now I mostly trust the label. I am happy that I have a Nepenthes whose pitchers have spikes under lids. :)

Back