What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please

Hi all-
I have been growing three Nephs. for about a year now. Recently I became really busy with school and kinda ignored them for a while. I was just moving them to their new home under a fluroescent light and noticed that the leaves were all very shiny and very sticky to the touch. All three still seem to be doing well and are still putting out pitchers. I also have noticed some little spheres of what I can only describe as sap on some pitchers. I have examined all of them and can see no insects. What the heck is going on? Any ideas?

Some have nectar glands on the leaves and secrete drops of it from time to time. I wouldn't worry if you really *really* don't think it's bugs. Also depends on the type of Nep - what kinds are they?

I have a N. Miranda, N. Efflugnet Koto, and an unknown N. I'm worried because as of 5 months ago they did not have sticky leaves. They also look a little scaley.

You should post some pics... even if they're crappy cellphone pics, it'll help.

This is the Efflugnet Koto, by far the worst one.
Worstone.jpg

Pretty sure I see scale down the vein of that leaf... if you scrape those oval brown things, do they come off? If so-- Treat for scale, scrape off what you can gently and get rid of them, then treat with some type of pesticide, neem works really good.
Good luck!
Andrew

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Looks like a pretty good infestation... I see them down the vein of the other leaf in the picture too. :X

Oh yeah :eek: take an alcohol soaked qtip and rub those babies off... spray the thing down with water, then give it a good dousing with neem, including in the soil. Repeat the neem weekly.

Thanks so much guys! I will I have neem oil that I diluted with water so I could spray it.

Back