What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes lowii pics?!?!

N. lowii is my favorite pitcher plant. But unfortunately, my little lowii is tiny, tiny. I was just curious who has lowii's of their own and if you would post a pic here of them (and if possible, especially their upper pitchers!).
Thanks!

I only know of a couple TF members with Nepenthes lowii old enough to have upper pitchers, one no longer comes here but perhaps the other guy will post some pics from his greenhouse. N. lowii grow so slowly I eventually got bored with mine and gave it away or sold it years ago. I suppose it would be big by now... LOL

im in the same boat as u etho. small and slowwwwww

I love the shape of N. lowii uppers, so last year I traded for a small one. Since everyone mentions how slow it grows, I expected it. However, after reading this thread, I realized that most people probably do not keep the plants properly hydrated. Once i got my plant, I have attempted to keep the pitchers filled with a super-dilute fertilizer mix and have been rewarded with decent growth (imho) - better than my N. argentii. Time will tell if it continues - but for now, I'm quite happy with the little guy...

John, over here, has a number of threads with his N. lowii uppers featured prominently (although I see that you posted over there also).

I had a little Nepenthes lowii I got 3 years ago, about the size of a dime. It gave me two new leafs in that time, and just recently died. Argh.. all that time lost. So I'm just about to get another one. Definitely one of the very best species imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a little Nepenthes lowii I got 3 years ago, about the size of a dime. It gave me two new leafs in that time, and just recently died. Argh.. all that time lost. So I'm just about to get another one. Definitely one of the very best species imo.

dead,what's the reason ? roots rot. what other symptoms - leaves appeared wrapped up and curl,leaves turn yellowish?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an N. lowii back in January and it has just recently started to grow well. Being that it grows as an epiphyte in the wild, I decided to grow mine in a similar manner. It is growing in the nook of a branch, surrounded by live sphagnum, within my large planted vivarium. Originally I thought it was going to die, but it has really taken off and is producing new leaves pretty rapidly, about 1 every week and a half to two weeks, and it opened up a pitcher it was growing the day I got it.

Of course, it's still about 3 inches in diameter, but I feel like I've got it in a good spot where it will grow for me.

I love the shape of N. lowii uppers, so last year I traded for a small one. Since everyone mentions how slow it grows, I expected it. However, after reading this thread, I realized that most people probably do not keep the plants properly hydrated. Once i got my plant, I have attempted to keep the pitchers filled with a super-dilute fertilizer mix and have been rewarded with decent growth (imho) - better than my N. argentii. Time will tell if it continues - but for now, I'm quite happy with the little guy...

John, over here, has a number of threads with his N. lowii uppers featured prominently (although I see that you posted over there also).

ive got a couple of them from different TC stock than most.......mine has proven not to be as slow as i feared either.....not my fastest grower but definitely faster than my macrophylla and izumae's.......and i started with plants that were smaller than dime size.....

Back