What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hairy Nepenthes hamata or Nepenthes edwardsiana?

thez_yo

instigator
It seems like hairy red Nepenthes hamata is all the rage... which one would you rather have?

I like the toothy Nepenthes because it's just really neat that a plant can end up looking like a shark's mouth ... Nepenthes villosa is slow as molasses, Nepenthes macrophylla is a pouty plant for me (maybe it needs *tons* of humidity?), Nepenthes edwardsiana is nearly unobtainable, but Nepenthes hamata is on the market every now and then.

Hairy Nepenthes hamata (~$300) is more costly than Nepenthes edwardsiana (eddie ~150EU = ~200$), should your name get picked out of the hat for an Nepenthes edwardsiana, and I've read that it's barely more hairy than the usual form (see http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40879). Given Chien Lee's photograph of one, I really hope mine grows up into that and not just a fuzzier 'regular' spotted Nepenthes hamata, and don't really think of it a replacement for Nepenthes edwardsiana.

here's a couple related threads that popped up when I made this one here:
http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121488
http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112482

Last edited by a moderator:
Well....assuming I could actually afford either of those, and had the chance to pick one or the other.......I'd pick Nepenthes edwardsiana. I'm perfectly happy with my seedgrown Nepenthes hamata and if I'm gonna blow a fortune on a nep, it would be a species that I don't already have.

Nepenthes edwardsiana all the way.. The opportunity to get an Nepenthes edwardsiana is rare, where as the opportunity to get a hairy seems to pop up a little more often.
Assuming I could afford either one (which I can.. ;)) Is there someplace that is offering Nepenthes edwardsiana again?!?!?

What if "hairy red Nepenthes hamata" gets turned into a species of its own, because one of the taxonomists argues well enough that it should be split off given some differentiating characteristics?

What if "hairy red Nepenthes hamata" gets turned into a species of its own, because one of the taxonomists argues well enough that it should be split off given some differentiating characteristics?

Well....then I'll still get the Nepenthes edwardsiana ...because it's different from anything I already have. ;)

Nepenthes edwardsiana for sure. Been wanting it since I first saw it over 10 years ago. To me no other Nepenthes looks as prehistoric. Based on looks alone "if I could only pick one" that would be the one. After I am growing it I may change my mind though, depending on how it acts... we'll see.

N. hamata is nice and a good grower but I prefer the regular N. hamata form in dark purple and gold, red hairy N. hamata would be a fine addition if the price were comparable to the standard form. I've never paid more than $150 for any one plant (be them orchids or Nepenthes) and probably won't ever go any higher than that just because.

i'd prefer Nepenthes edwardsiana, ill make some awesome seedgrown Nepenthes hamata on my own soon enough :p

Definentily Nepenthes edwardsiana,
The Nepenthes hamata is cool but eddy (Nepenthes edwardsiana) is just so much more exotic and beautiful and anyway i'm waiting a few years when both of them are less!!

It's a hard choice for me to make. But I don't think there's really much of a choice, I would need to get Nepenthes edwardsiana. I've decided that it's the most majestic plant in the world, in my opinion.

Call it cliche or what-have-you, but Nepenthes edwardsiana is on the throne for me and wont be knocked off, even by the lustful and sensuous N. hamata "red hairy".

I would choose the hairy hamata over Nepenthes macrophylla, Nepenthes villosa, or Nepenthes x trusmadiensis, though, without a doubt.

sour grapes zuz. sour grapes. :p

I think I would choose option C. Settle for a regular Nepenthes hamata clone for 75 bucks and wait until N. edwardsiana and N. hamata red hairy are more affordable. These things typically do go down in price over time.

I think I'd go for Nepenthes edwardsiana as well. The red Nepenthes hamata variant has more interesting teeth than the darker clone, but eddy just seems prettier overall somehow. Among the toothy ones, though, I think Nepenthes villosa wins top billing for me - the teeth and squat shape are irresistible given my love of cute-but-dangerous-looking things.
But from a practical standpoint, dashman's plan is what I'd probably end up going for in reality. XD
~Joe

But all the people who have been waiting out Nepenthes hamata price all these years are still stuck with Nepenthes hamata being highly priced ???

The first time I saw Nepenthes hamata available, it was like $200 for a size two or three plant. $75 is a HUGE drop from that, and by my understanding those weren't even peak prices.
~Joe

But all the people who have been waiting out Nepenthes hamata price all these years are still stuck with Nepenthes hamata being highly priced ???

Really? I bought my first Nepenthes hamata for 125+shipping (something like that), my second for 69 plus shipping a year later. When I first saw them available, they were 200+ a few years ago. I am not sure how much they were over 3-4 years ago because I wasn't growing back then. :)

I have seen Nepenthes hamata for as little as 50 from private growers here and there.

Edit: What really helps things I think is the vendor who has N. hamata red hairy. Thier prices tend to drop faster than other overseas vendors.

Right. When I first started, Nepenthes hamata was on my short list of things to get, but it wasn't even available unless you wanted to import. I think the ones you see going from private growers are representative of the fact that it's a relatively undemanding plant once mature. Commercial prices are more reflective of it's reputation and sparse availability.
~Joe

If I had to pick one, I'd go hairy Nepenthes hamata. It's my understanding that it'll probably grow faster than Nepenthes edwardsiana.

I'm still waiting for Nepenthes jamban prices to go down... they've been at a standstill for a year or so.

That's a tough one! Can I choose both!? :grin:

If I had to pick one, I'd go hairy Nepenthes hamata. It's my understanding that it'll probably grow faster than Nepenthes edwardsiana.

I'm still waiting for Nepenthes jamban prices to go down... they've been at a standstill for a year or so.

I personally am amazed that Nepenthes jamban prices have not lowered significantly already. I don't see the appeal of the species at all. Compared to Nepenthes jacquelineae it just doesn't seem so much more worthy of the extra dollars.

Back