What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed grown N.hamata ? I think not !

Thanks heavens Im into plants people want exact clones of :-))

My apologies to SK and Cthus for my contribution to this fiasco.

Seconded!

Some of us jump on these topics like rabid wolves. Or at least I do, anyway.

Indeed as was said here, I too am now leaning toward only dealing with those I have traded with in the past, or who have over time, shown their experience, respect and maturity, and will likely be someone worth dealing with. Which is too bad, for it wasn't that long ago that people treated each other with respect, and found out about a questionable situation and gave people the benefit of the doubt until they found out otherwise.

What ever happened to the value of experience and wisdom, and those who have it? ...and treating others with the respect they deserve? ??? Problem seems to be that a lot of people can't even identify who really knows their stuff from those who don't anymore.

:clap: Boy did you nail that one on the head...

Admittedly, I am chiming in a bit late on this exhausted topic (but today is the first I saw of it); and the posted photos have since been removed. I had some initial concern that that plant could have been one of mine (until Kris stood up and took one for the team -- Cheers), since I had several years of seed-grown batches of Nepenthes hamata and a few others, also labeled in terms of germination date (day, month, year); though, to my recollection, they were never traded or sold as basals unless that was clearly understood.

Also, I have had seed-grown Nepenthes well over five years old with very paltry root systems, yet a luxuriant plant above the compost. Nepenthes rajah, for example, is notorious for having scheiß for roots, often for years on end. I re-potted some in March of last year and you'd think that I lopped off the crown of an otherwise healthy plant; there was almost nothing there below the moss.

The seed-grown debate is also a bit murky, since most tissue cultured Nepenthes begin as aseptically-germinated seed, since sterilizing cuttings from the plants have proven somewhat problematical (due to a symbiotic algae living in its tissue); and they are then placed in a compost; or, more typically, hormones are added to the media to allow for multiplication and the creation of clones from individual plants.

In the past, when I have obtained potentially valuable seed (Nepenthes seed tend to have the shelf-life of most man-made elements), a third were always planted outright in milled sphagnum; a second third, aseptically germinated in culture and planted; and the final, treated with gibberellic acid and planted. That method ensured about a seventy percent and change success rate.

Last edited:
Back