What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dgnq51.jpg

Nepenthes Miranda. Has quite a few growth points. I got it last fall, finally got one in good condition. Has been growing in my window this winter so that's why it's growing sideways.
2prbjva.jpg

When I bought this from a local nursery it was labled as nepenthes rafflesiana. It started pitchering this winter(surprisingly since lower light levels), and looks more like a Ventrata. The pitchers have also been producing a sweet nectar on the rim of the pitchers, which apparently was very effective, since it attracted 2 bugs into one of the pitchers in 1 day.
5zlfkx.jpg

Closeup of my biggest pitcher so far.
1zgfb04.jpg

Nepenthes Truncata(I think it's the highland one, whatever one is the slower growing one). Shrunk a bit since I got it, hopefully it gets some size back. Has been pitchering though every time so it's doing well.
axln3d.jpg

Nepenthes Sanguinea. Was my other first plant. It was a monster but late last summer it started not forming leaves. If anyone knows what's going on let me know.

That sanguinea is absolutely bizarre. I've never seen a plant do that before. Perhaps there are pests attacking the growth point? It doesn't really look like it from what I can see, though. Maybe the water you're using is too heavy? Perhaps it accidentally got some fertilizer? Strange!

Your other Neps look terrific though, props.

Over the years I've had one or two plants do what your N. sanguinea is doing there. I threw out those plants because I didn't know what was making it grow like that. Cutting the growing tip did not allow a decent new growth point to start up, just more weird leaves formed so I assume it is a virus of some sort.

Perhaps it accidentally got some fertilizer?
I fertilize my Neps with a weak solution of orchid fertilizers (1/4 - 1/2 strength) as well as feed the pitchers with insects. The worst thing I've seen too much ferts do is make the plant grow faster but not make any new pitchers for a while, possibly until you repot depending how much you've done it.

But I don't think over fertilization could be the cause of this plants malady. Perhaps Kulamauiman would know cos I'd like to know as well next time I see it develop in a new plant.

Well I use rain water, which I have been using forever. The only big thing that changed was I repotted it last year. It went from peat/ vermiculite to LFS/orchid bark.

Back