What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamata care

BioZest

zesty.
hi everyone!!
I'm a little nervous, in a few days my hamata is going to be shipped in and I have no experience with ultra-highlanders. I know the hummidity but I have no idea on the temp:blush:.

any tips,
thanks

Ideal temperatures for N.hamata would be 75F days and 55F nights, but they can take day temps up to 80F and night temps up to 65F for a few months here and there.

I have a tank thats just about 50℉ 24/7 so it'll be going there

I have a tank thats just about 50℉ 24/7 so it'll be going there

50F all the time?......you will need to raise the day temperature to at least 70F for that to work.

N. hamata isnt a UHL. adult specimens can be grown in intermediate/highland conditions....but im betting you wont have an adult specimen...humidity is much more important, but since you got that covered, im not going to harp about that. :)

Although many people have whined about how sensitive their N. hamata's are, I did not find that to be an issue at all with the two small rootless plants I received - they both grew like weeds from day 1. In my meager experience, both N. aristolochioides and N. jamban are much more finicky plants (especially the jamban). Neither of my hamata's even slowed down when summer warmed up their growing spaces a bit (unlike the pouty other two...).

As always - ymmv. Best of luck with your new baby...

Yeah, I don't find N. hamata to be a difficult one, mine is going through humidity of 30% or less in the day and it is growing and pitchering gorgeously... eitherway I'm lookng for a way to increase the humidity, havin' a little more is always good.

I have a lowlander tank, do you think I can transition between my cold and lowland tank
??????????

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

and thanks RL7..........

I don't think it will thrive in lowland conditions.. temperature drop is elemental, eitherway once I read about someone that was keeping hamata in lowland conditions.. may be you can try, but I do not recommend it

I think it'll(my hamata) tolerate lowland conditions because my lowlander tank is 70degrees with 99% humidity.

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 AM ----------

and I'd switch the plant to the cold tank at night and to the lowlander tank during the day

as others have said hamata isnt an UL.......keep the humidity up if its a small plant and give it a temp dip at night and it will do fine.....mine grew fine with 80 days and 60-65 nights which is far from UL conditions......young plants tend to have thin leaves and are sensitive to sudden drops in humidity and can be sensitive in that regard humidity sensitivity seems to lessen as it gets older....

Frequently moving Nepenthes is generally not recommended. If you'll be there to do it at the same time each day, I guess it's worth a shot, but don't be surprised if it struggles.
~Joe

n you might want to check out what dashmans reply was if you have any other questions it on my hamata post go look lots of info you may need

Back