What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

Some of you may remember my enthusiastic post about my first nepenthes flowering.

I got some aristolochioides pollen from a local canadian grower and fertilized it early in december.

I had hoped that what I was seeing was the start of a fruit and maybe a small chunk of viable seed to produce some more aristolochioides individuals in cultivation.

Well...check this out for bonkers.

5620813710_e3d277eb26_b.jpg

5620226575_867717fb84_b.jpg

What u are seeing is the brown flower that I tried to fertilize (notice the pollinia stuck to it).

But...now it is constantly making these single ONE flowers every leaf. This is instead of the regular long flower spike with multiple flowers.

Another weird thing is...I never bothered to fertilize the other flower (to not tire the plant and let it only make one fruit). But this one shows a bigger fruit than the one I tried fertilizing.

Any idea of whats happening here?

cheers,

varun

Oh wow.. that's pretty amazing. I wish I had answers other than just :0o:

I can't say I've ever seen anything like that before.

That is...... wow. Can't quite describe it.

Yup!!

bizarre! So you have a female N. aristolochioides that's awesome do you recall what vendor it came from?

What the fudge?!?! :suspect:

Its from BE. :)

Trippy...

I love it when weird things like that happen...
Like when one of my Ventricosa made a round pitcher

I wonder if, if you get viable seeds from it, if they would carry the trait or not
It would be kind of cool in it's own way if it did

Good luck with it

A few years ago there was an article in CPN about another Nep that someone had that did this. It is just some freak thing.

Back