What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stem cutting in water...

• Thread starter Syllius
  • Start date

Syllius

CP Pimp
I've got a stem cutting growing in water for about a month now. It's starting to form roots and has formed a new leaf so far, working on the second. The water is mostly clear, but there seems to be a mucus forming around the root. I was wondering if this is unusual or a symptom of something I should be concerned about.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Change the water. That guk isn't necessarily something to worry about but it won't be any help either.
I don't use this method, but I'm curious to try it sometime:
http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/nepprop.htm
If you don't want to put this much work into it, you can add a small amount of hydrogen peroxide every few days - I think about a tablespoon per gallon of media is appropriate for your typical drugstore 3% peroxide.
~Joe

Superthrive...

I've read all the research and opinions from both sides of the debate. I've decided that on this subject I need to draw my own conclusion, but I am wondering if anyone has tried adding a drop or two of Superthrive to the water the Nep cutting grows in... I didn't use any rooting hormone on the cutting when I first cut it, as I couldn't find the recommended gel, but I actually have purchased some Superthrive and was wondering on the best way to use it during this particular process.

Thanks for the hasty response!

I am under the impression that superthrive does best when added to a fert.
I use vit. B1 for all my transplants and cuttings. However, I have not tried rooting a nep yet!

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Change the water. That guk isn't necessarily something to worry about but it won't be any help either.
I don't use this method, but I'm curious to try it sometime:
http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/nepprop.htm
If you don't want to put this much work into it, you can add a small amount of hydrogen peroxide every few days - I think about a tablespoon per gallon of media is appropriate for your typical drugstore 3% peroxide.
~Joe

thanks for that link seedjar!

i get that with most cuttings i take of anything. never really an issue. i do rinse it off though. if you are diligent about changing the water, its less of an issue.

as for superthrive, at the very least, i have used it with no discernible adverse affects on the cuttings/plants... whether it helps it or not, its hard to say. i do notice nice growth, but i dont have any control to compare to, to definitively say it made a difference. some could argue that since i had no control, i shouldn't say there was no adverse affect, but im trying to be optimistic here so cut me some slack ;)

seedjar, thanks for the link. i may have to try that out someday.

Back