What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most sought-after/valuable nepenthes in the hobby?

Now that is more like it. :) I like this list. Those are plants on my dream list as well.

Here is my list. I am going to skew a little more to the valuable side then sought after. But then again demand determines price in a lot of cases. I am only going to list plants that are in cultivation to my knowledge.

1. Nepenthes × harryana (villosa x edwardsiana) - seed
  2. Nepenthes × kinabaluensis (villosa x rajah) - seed
  3. Nepenthes sp. "Sulawesi"
  4. Nepenthes sp. "Palawan"
  5. Nepenthes pitopangii - Not Certain this is in culvation
  6. Nepenthes x Alisaputrana (burbidgeae x rajah) - seed
  7. Nepenthes klossi
  8. Nepenthes attenboroughii - seed
  9. Nepenthes hurreliana - seed not tc
  10. Nepenthes edwardsiana - seed
  11. Nepenthes clipeata - seed
  12. Nepenthes aristolochiodies - seed
  13. Nepenthes x trusmadiensis - seed
  14. Nepenthes villosa - seed
  15. Nepenthes lamii - seed
  16. Nepenthes rigidifolia - (tc or seed)
  17. Nepenthes hamata 'hairy yellow or red' - seed
  18. Nepenthes rajah - seed
  19. Nepenthes flava - seed
  20. Nepenthes naga - tc or seed
  21. Nepenthes eymae - 'True Species' - seed
  22. Nepenthes macrophylla - seed
  23. Nepenthes jamban - seed
  24. Nepenthes hamata - typical or new location seed
  25. Nepenthes ephipiata - seed
  26. Nepenthes bokorensis - seed

Thank Vraev. This is my wish list as well... slowly getting there. Let me know if you have some additions or suggestions.

@rattler I didn't know there was a negative connotation about Nepenthes hybrids. I think there is alot to learn about Nepenthes growing species and natural hybrids so I usually try to keep to those. Every grower has there niche.

@Talie... definitely need to add Nepenthes peltata. Hmm right between clipeata and aristo seems like a good fit. Updated the list. I also forgot about glaundlifera... I will add that between naga and eymae.

1. Nepenthes × harryana (villosa x edwardsiana) - seed
  2. Nepenthes × kinabaluensis (villosa x rajah) - seed
  3. Nepenthes sp. "Sulawesi"
  4. Nepenthes sp. "Palawan"
  5. Nepenthes pitopangii - Not Certain this is in culvation
  6. Nepenthes x Alisaputrana (burbidgeae x rajah) - seed
  7. Nepenthes klossi
  8. Nepenthes attenboroughii - seed
  9. Nepenthes hurreliana - seed not tc
  10. Nepenthes edwardsiana - seed
  11. Nepenthes clipeata - seed
  12. Nepenthes peltata - seed
  13. Nepenthes aristolochiodies - seed
  14. Nepenthes x trusmadiensis - seed
  15. Nepenthes villosa - seed
  16. Nepenthes lamii - seed
  17. Nepenthes rigidifolia - (tc or seed)
  18. Nepenthes hamata 'hairy yellow or red' - seed
  19. Nepenthes rajah - seed
  20. Nepenthes flava - seed
  21. Nepenthes naga - tc or seed
  22. Nepenthes glandulifera - tc or seed
  23. Nepenthes eymae - 'True Species' - seed
  24. Nepenthes macrophylla - seed
  25. Nepenthes jamban - seed
  26. Nepenthes hamata - typical or new location seed
  27. Nepenthes ephipiata - seed
  28. Nepenthes bokorensis - seed

some seem to think pure species are some how superior and seem to forget that some of todays species are actually stabilized hybrids and that hybrids happen regularly in the wild......bout once a year someone starts a thread saying how the hybridizers will be the end of pure species and seem to forget that neps have been being hybridized in greenhouses for 150 years or better and it hasnt wiped out interest in species yet.....

Sorry Listserv.org you are still not welcome here.
Andrew

some seem to think pure species are some how superior and seem to forget that some of todays species are actually stabilized hybrids and that hybrids happen regularly in the wild......bout once a year someone starts a thread saying how the hybridizers will be the end of pure species and seem to forget that neps have been being hybridized in greenhouses for 150 years or better and it hasnt wiped out interest in species yet.....

Very true. I think it's easy for some less-informed enthusiasts to miss the (very fuzzy) difference between manmade hybrids and naturally occurring hybrids, as well as the fact that there is only a very vague distinction in biology between species and natural hybrids. I can understand how the heaps of manmade hybrids and named cultivars might seem like a bad thing to folks who place a priority on preserving natural lineages, though. I feel that way a little, and to look at cultivated plants like orchids, Rhododendrons, or tulips, it's easy to get a feeling that the sky is falling. Heck, I even feel that way about martial arts schools. (If I had a dollar for every shmuck that left a real school to start their own "contemporary" style...)
~Joe

nothing that hasnt been in place since they were first brought back to European greenhouses.....if anything its much easier to get a large number of species now than any time in history......always gonna be an interest in pure species.....problem most dont seem to get with the whole seed grown versus TC thing is do you want to see these plants protected in the wild or do you want to collect.....plenty off ppl growing that are perfectly happy to make pure species seed if they have plants bloom with each other......lots of hybrids cause most dont bother or care to have multiple clones and hate to see a flower stalk go to waste.....

course most of the detractors of TC plants aswell have very lil experience with TC plants in general.....ive probably handled larger numbers of TC plants than most cause i worked in a retail greenhouse.....most the bedding plants and such you buy for your yard are TC.....having dealt with multiple hundreds of thousands of TC and seed grown plants over the years, you are far more likely to get a weak seed grown plant than TC plant if the producer does their job....

when i look at the arguments for pure species only and seed grown only all i see is some ppl who want to think they are some how superior to others and has nothing to do with the plants themselves.....

It's really tough to narrow it down to just one plant but if I had my pick of any plant it would be a seed-grown N. edwardsiana.

Back