What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes platychila or hybrid?

thez_yo

instigator
And of course, please post your platychila pics too :p

So, do you guys think I have playtchila? This is the latest pitcher after a far-too-chilly-for-it winter:

P4290031.jpg

P4290032.jpg

P4290033.jpg

P4290034.jpg

and this is the pitcher before it just for infos--
PC020042.jpg

PC270038.jpg

and a couple nice pitchers from last year
P6210006.jpg

P7270026.jpg

it definitely has platychila blood. that's for sure....but the pitchers are way too elongated like fusca, especially the earlier ones....

anywho, the moment of truth comes when the uppers come out.

Hybrid...maybe with fusca.

The older pitcher seems more like platy than the new one.. If I had to imagine platychila x vogelii, this is what I'd see.

Is it seed grown? Where did you get it from?

It's a BE clone.

Not saying that is or is not a hybrid as I am not knowlegable enough to know the difference. But playing the odds, I would say it is pure given no-one else to date has expressed concerns among the available clones. But perhaps they have, I haven't really been paying attention. Also, I'm not sure how many clones BE has of this species.

But then again, given my luck at identifying nepenthes. The fact I say it is pure suddenly increases the chances it is not by 10:1. LOL.

here's mine, and like i said, there are discrepancies between the "tie" between the wings, as well as how the leaves fold up near the base of the plant:

--notice the pinched base:
IMG_1141.jpg

--tie is not as solid, although that is appearing to change--the tie is increasing in solidness in the newer pitchers:
IMG_1142.jpg

--one of the best pitchers:
IMG_1144.jpg

hope this helps.

Mr amphirion, here is the leaf attachment at the center of the plant:

P4290043.jpg

--edit--

also, it's freaking huge. Here it is with a penny for size... it might be time for a repot one of these days :lol:

P4290045.jpg

Last edited:
hugie shmeugie...if that's the case, i can compare my current pitchers to the ones you got last year....in my opinion both pitchers look drastically different from each other.

ok....i will not go as far as to say who has the real platy, but i will say that our clones are significantly different from each other.

Here is my Nepenthes platychila.
It's been kind of neglected in a tank in my basement.
I am going to re pot it soon. Still I don't think it looks all that bad.
JMatt

dsc05357x.jpg

dsc05358c.jpg

Hot damn! If mine ends up looking like that, :hail:

Thanks for sharing - do you think mine looks sorta like yours looked at that stage (I'm assuming 5 years ago :lol:)?

You keep that in a tank!?!? What the heck does the tank look like. That thing must be massive!

Excellent plant Jmatt! How big is the net pot?

@JMatt You are too humble good sir. That is the best platychila upper pitcher I have ever seen.

Thanks for all the nice comments!
The tank I had this plant in is actually too small now, only I think 18 inches high.
The plant was fopped over and I stood it up for the picture. It's going to have to stay out now, just growing under lights.
I think the pot is a 6 inch net pot.
I think your plant very well could be a platy, mine looked a lot like yours when it was younger. I don't think you will know for sure until it starts producing uppers.
Mine just recently started looking like this. All the other pitchers were not flared quite like the newest one. I can't remember? I've probably had this plant for about 5 years. I almost got rid of it at one point, but now I think it's pretty neat.
Just give them time, they will show there true shapes eventually.
JMatt

Old thread, but curious to know how your plant is looking now JMatt. Is it originally from BE?
Does anyone have N.Platychila from wistuba? Most of the clones I've seen have been from BE

Back