What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. alata pics

Just sharing a couple of pics. This is a clone descendant of a Nepenthes alata I got more than 20 years ago from Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota, Florida. It's probably prejudice on my part coming from the fact that this was one of my first nepenthes, but this is what I think N. alatas should look like. The only problem with these is that they burn through the pitchers rather quickly, but they make up for it in fast growth and abundance.

DSC03214.jpg

DSC03212.jpg

Very nice plant! These are the upper pitchers, right? I just picked one up on Saturday. It's growing well so far with 6 growth points and plenty of pitchers.

wire, sorry to say but what you more than likely picked up was an xVentrata..... true N alata are quite a bit more uncommon, and you dont just stumble upon them in a nursery....

Nepguy, you appear to have a VERY happy N. muluensis x lowii living in that tank in the background...

Very nice!....and here I though that I was one of the few around here that grew a true clone of N.alata...nice to see some others. :)

That's a lower pitcher.

N. x ventrata pitchers are typically longer in the base, without such an abrupt transition.

Yes, that's a N. muluensis x lowii back there. It's tiny pot is sitting on a seedling cell tray and the plant has sent roots all through the water underneath. No getting it out now.

sorry, nep i was not implying that your alata was a ventrata... was pointing that comment in wire's direction

Looks great Glen! Got to love that narrow waist...

Wow very buldgy at the bottom. I like it.

I didn't get mine from a nursery. I'll post pics of it in a separate thread.

Looks good. love that bulbous bottom

Yeah that's a superb alata! Mine's got a nice rear end to it, but a strange top to it that makes me wonder if it's just one of those weird plants that just got named 'alata' for the heck of it because it didn't look like anything else :lol:

sorry, nep i was not implying that your alata was a ventrata... was pointing that comment in wire's direction

I understood that, and I didn't mean to give another impression. I had very little time yesterday when I was making a reply and couldn't linger over my words.

Looks like we all like a little junk in the trunk when it comes to N. alatas.

Cheers!

Back