What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZOMG 100+ Pics (Mostly Neps, also fun fuzzy and spiny things)

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
N. chaniana x veitchii - this plant is both the beauty AND the beast. I've waited forever for it to bulk up; as one of my first Neps, I've had it for six or more years. Only recently has it really come into its own, and now it's growing like crazy. It popped a basal a couple months ago, and within three or four leaves the new node was bigger than the old one has ever been. The vine is also monstrously thick. I'm looking forward to making cuttings, but that will have to wait a while, as you'll see below...

The occasion for this pic thread; flowers! Any guesses as to the gender? It's too compact for me to really tell:

N. ventricosa, which has been enthusiastically burying its pitchers and carpeting surrounding pots since going basal-crazy last fall. Maybe it wants to be N. ampullaria? It's become so bushy that I can't really get a good shot of it in its own pot - there's actually a lot more of it than just these pics might lead you to believe:

Some group shots of this side of the living-room Neps - the "small plants" tray:

N. x. margaretea, a very nice and easy hybrid:

To be continued...

Last edited:
N. lowii, I think/hope. Still no hairs on the pitcher lids so it's hard to tell, but fortunately the leaves look right and these are relatively quick growers. Regardless, a charming specimen:

Tillandsia I-don't-know-what-exactly and my roommate's T. butzii. Mine recently put out its first pup! I didn't think to turn it around to get a good shot though. There's also a little bit of T. useneoides in there somewhere, just barely hanging on; need to get me some more of that...

N. ventricosa x inermis. I like this plant more and more every day - it recently started producing uppers with a gorgeous contrast of green and red:

A couple of the handful of survivors from my once numerous, although not exactly outstanding, colony of H. heterodoxa. Thanks to the expertise of Butch, I think they'll pull through, even though they're probably a little too dry and I continue to perform cruel experiments on them:

(The one on the left had been aborting its pitchers midway for several months and never opening them, so I had to break the tops off to give it some emergency fertilization.)

N. "Deroos' Alata" - a remarkably forgiving, enduring plant. It was my first to reach adulthood, and used to have several meters of vine, but I neglected it like crazy, left it way too long in the same stale LFS, and let scale get the better of it for a couple years, until it was nearly at the brink. A little hard pruning and a few rubdowns with alcohol, though, and it's back and better than ever:

Super-duper macros of N. fusca. It took me a while to get the hang of this plant (nearly killed it at least twice), and it's probably still getting more light than it would prefer, but what a beauty! I can even tolerate how absurdly tiny it is:

This H. cooperi "Giant" is doing dramatically better than its brethren in semi-hydroponic media:

(More Haworthia to follow, with the pics of my bedroom rack.)

My mom's neighbors gave me this Bromeliad back around Christmas because they were moving and didn't have room to take it along. At the time it had already flowered and looked pretty spent. It made a pup shortly after I brought it home, and with a repot and a little fertilizer it's been growing like a champ:

N. truncata "red" - don't ask me why it's called that. I just call it by the tag it came with:

I love the last shot - apparently it was feeling shy when it popped that pitcher.

N. truncata "green." I guess it's green... the body of the pitcher, at least:

(Both strains came from the same nursery, but they weren't in stock at the same time so I doubt that it was merely a mixup in tags. Just one of those little mysteries I guess.)

My roommate's P. "Aphrodite" and the last of my once-vast empire of P. gigantea. Once the local Ewing gets Turface back in stock, these will be going into an inorganic mix and put under better light, and with any luck I can start cloning them:

Pothos and spider plants enjoying the indirect light over the passage between my kitchen and porch:

A couple angles of two succulents that have been charming me more and more as of late - Aloe zanzibarica and the "Gollum" or "ET Fingers" variety of jade:

There's still a lot more...

Last edited:
Some plants received from Josh aka swords when he cleared out his succulent collection. He gave me a lot of awesome species, and I've managed to actually keep a few of them alive:

(It might not be visible here, but the tag for the tree-like one with red tips says "POISONOUS" in huge block lettering, and I love it. XD )

Epiphyllum of some sort, or so I believe. These little guys just kind of did nothing for me for several years. Then it occurred to me to actually water them, and after giving them a bigger pot with some nice soil, they're going bonkers. If you think this is a lot, consider that I recently took lots and lots of pullings to go out with trades:

Some mesembs doing their best to tolerate my ineptitude:

Humble N. sanguinea, one of my first experiments with Neps in net pots and water trays. Four or five years later, and in the same compacted LFS and perlite, it's still going strong. Presently, between the five or six main vines, I'd guess there's at least ten meters worth of it:

Some group shots from the kitchen side of the grow area:

The world as seen from the rootstock of my N. eymae; the vine is probably about three meters now. It popped two basals recently but shows no sign of slowing down:

Halfway there...

N. eymae has refused to pitcher for the past year or so ever since it began to vine. These yet-to-inflate tendrils give me a lot of hope that it's the real deal, though:

Even if it's just maxima, the thing is a beast. I hate to brag, but here's a couple shots of the main stem with my thumbnail for scale:

(I have tiny carnie hands, but still, it's a pretty thick stem.)

This is one of the smallest pitchers it produced before vining and refusing to pitcher. It's finally starting to wilt after something like eighteen months:

For those of you that have heard me nattering on about my cuttings, here's three from my batch of N. alata x maxima:

I was tempted to take more, but I decided three was enough after I dropped that really bushy one and broke off one of its biggest roots as I went to put down the camera. The things I do for you people! I'm pretty sure it'll pull through though; these little guys are real troopers.

Yet more to follow...

Last edited:
A small division of my beloved weird no-ID almost-cactus thing, and Monadenium heteropodum, a charming trailing succulent:

(More shots of these to follow, from my bedroom grow rack.)

N. alata. This plant has been a bit of a struggle but it's absolutely gorgeous and well worth the effort. Presently it and its pot-mate Boschiana Mimic are at the epicenter of a scale infestation - one of these days my roommate and I will be doing a wipe-down of nearly my entire collection. (Sooo glad to be living with a fellow plant geek.)

N. alata "Boschiana Mimic," or at least that's what the person who sent it to me thought. If the ID is correct, I can't imagine how it got its name - it looks nothing like N. boschiana to me:

(It's trailing below the shelf in a rather inaccessible corner, so getting good pictures was damn near impossible.)

One side of my bedroom rack; D. capensis (typical and Bugweed's broad-leaf strain,) mounds of neglected D. adelae, and D. peltata and stolonifera doing their best despite my incompetence with tuberous 'dews. N. x. Miranda presides over them all:

What's bugging this formerly healthy pot of D. adelae?

Ooooh, I see. It's growing over two to three inches of its own dried-up leaf litter:

N. x. splendiana x x. hookeriana (we think) received from SDCPs not long ago. It just opened its first pitcher in my care:

The markings on the leaves are quite curious. I've seen ones like this before on other plants, but never so numerous and pronounced. Nectar glands perhaps? I don't think they're bugs or bug damage.

Mother of the above cuttings, N. alata x maxima is looking kind of boring while putting on new nodes. This one is particularly stunted, but I just love its ikebana look:

N. x. Miranda; demure, enormous, robust, and apparently bookish (hehe.) What's not to love about this plant?

Group shot of the succulent corner in my bedroom, which is gradually being overrun by excess pitcher plants...

Invaders! H. neblinae from the kindly Mr. Tincher, various young Neps in "tiny" five-inch pots, some Phaleonopsis, and my seed-grown Cycas revoluta aka sago palm:

Jatropha podagrica - aka Australian/Mexican bottle plant, aka Buddha belly, aka gouty-spot nettlespurge. The only thing that I like more than its wacky names and crazy appearance is that I grew this from seed from my original plant (RIP.) And now it's preparing to flower for the first time! I'm such a proud poppa! (Granpoppa?)

This begonia is rather common, but it sure is pretty, and spews out new nodes like nobody's business. I'll need to chop it back soon, but I already have two big cuttings waiting to be potted up, and there's at least four nodes here that could be snipped:

Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion...

Last edited:
Some Adromischius and Haworthia from the batch of succulents sent by swords last year - survivors from my experiments with semi-hydroponics. They're finally starting to settle in now that I've added a bit of coco chips to the media and begun watering more aggressively:

One of my favorites, Pachypodium lamerei:

(OK, that's kind of a lie... they're pretty much all my favorites.)

Another Pachypodium, don't remember which... Don't really care either - it's an awesome spiny poisonous tree thingy and that's good enough for me. Hopefully this one doesn't bite the dust like P. brevicaule recently did:

Some Jades. The little ones are doing pretty well in spite of my best efforts to neglect them. Some weird bug has been laying eggs on them though... not cool. I'll have to take them off the shelf and wipe them down soon. The big one pictured above has been all floppy lately, but (knock on wood) it's underwatering and not the bugs that are making it sad:

Euphorbia tirucalli, coming into its own finally. Still waiting for the bright red and orange coloration to return:

Euphorbia milli, looking as good as ever:

Another favorite - Beaucarnea recurvata, the ponytail palm:

Ceph. "Hummer's Giant" returning from the dead:

My dirty little secret to growing it on a mound:

(I think I'll call this the Jell-o mold method.)

I haven't the foggiest idea what this thing is, besides awesome. With or without an ID, I adore it:

Wish it would stop growing into the lights though... I topped it not two months ago and it's already back to making trouble. But amazingly, some of the little leaf/cone thingies are touching the T5HO tubes with no ill effects.

And lastly, the lady of the house took an interest in what I was doing poking around her nap spot:

(She doesn't quite understand the concept of posing for the camera. I guess she was ready for her close-up. :p )

Enjoy!
~Joe

Last edited:
Really good pics. :)

that is a CRAPLOAD of pics! nice to see everything growing really well for you!

AAAWWWW YEEEAAAAA!!!

SICK plants! I love how you included your cacti photos!! REALLYY NAAIICEEE!!!

Thanks guys. I only meant to take pics of the chaniana x veitchii flower, but my roommate lent me his nice camera, and since I post pics so infrequently, I went kind of nuts... I actually tossed about half the ones I took; these are just the "good" ones. XD
Outdoor pics soon, once the crummy weather lets up.
~Joe

Last edited:
Wow... who knew you had such a wonderful collection stashed in there! The upper sanguinea pitchers a very nice, and you non-cps look very very healthy. Great work Joe, you'll have to tell me more about your setup sometime :)

N. lowii, I think/hope. Still no hairs on the pitcher lids so it's hard to tell, but fortunately the leaves look right and these are relatively quick growers. Regardless, a charming specimen:

Look like N. rajah to me, not N. lowii

Look like N. rajah to me, not N. lowii

That's what I've been thinking too. It was in the same pot as rajah for a time, but I'm almost 100% sure I didn't mix them up, as there was only one rajah vs. multiple lowii, and the lowii were much bigger. They were also both tagged, and in opposite corners of the pot, and being so small I didn't dare mess with them aside from watering the pot and moving it occasionally.
I did get it in the following thread, so I may be a mark in the longest-running April Fool's joke ever:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=866432
~Joe

*moves into an unused corner of your house*

Very nice jungle indeed!

LOL, there is no unused corner in my house. My pictures are very carefully angled to show only the smallest piles of junk.
~Joe

Woah...I'm in awe.....:0o:

BTW..what is your secret to having such impressive roots in your nep cuttings?

Definitely bares a way closer resemblance to Rajah over Lowii o.o
Is the little thing by it a basal, or could that be a Lowii?

Regardless, everything is fan-absolutely-tastic!
:love:

Wow what nice poke around Joe's Apartment! :D

The plant marked POISONOUS is Tylecodon bucholzianus It grows into a short shrub that the goat herders in Africa will kill before they let their animals graze. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't where your roommates cat could get it incase he was a nibbler. My black cat likes to lick plants, he doesn't eat 'em just licks 'em... LOL

HE HE I do that too when I take pics (hide my piles of stuff).

Tony's right though, I would also say most certainly that's a baby N. rajah and not N. lowii. But hey, there's nothing wrong with having a baby N. rajah!

Tony's right though, I would also say most certainly that's a baby N. rajah and not N. lowii. But hey, there's nothing wrong with having a baby N. rajah!

No, nothing wrong with it, except that I already had a rajah, and now there's /redundancy./ *gasp! cue suspenseful organ riff*
As for the Tylecodon, yeah, I still have the tag, but most memorable is the big "POISONOUS" warning on it. Like half the stuff you sent me is poisonous, so it's especially humorous to me that this one it particular got extra attention. It took me over an hour to take all these pics and the better part of the afternoon to put the thread together, so I didn't quite feel like getting up to check the names on all the stuff I couldn't remember. I'm feeling sick and lazy today - all my available physical energy is going into making an obscenely large batch of chili.
My roommate doesn't have a cat, but some of my previous roommates had a cat or two I wouldn't have minded getting into this stuff... lord knows they got into enough of my other stuff. Heck, I wouldn't have minded if my roommates took a nibble themselves. XD In any case, if there were a cat, it'd be mighty impressive if they managed to get to this plant in particular - it's pretty inaccessible.
Exo; not telling for now - that's why they call it a secret, nyuck nyuck nyuck. But it'll be one of my first how-tos when I launch my blog this summer. If you pay attention to the things I talk about, you can probably figure most of it out for yourself. But thanks for asking - I'm flattered. :)
~Joe

Last edited:
No, nothing wrong with it, except that I already had a rajah, and now there's /redundancy./ *suspenseful organ riff*
As for the Tylecodon, yeah, I still have tag, just it took me over an hour to take all these pics and the better part of the afternoon to put the thread together, so I didn't quite feel like getting up to check the names on all the stuff I couldn't remember. I'm feeling sick and lazy today - all my available physical energy is going into making an obscenely large batch of chili.
Exo - not telling for now, but it'll be one of my first how-tos when I launch my blog this summer. If you pay attention to the things I talk about, you can probably figure most of it out for yourself. But thanks for asking - I'm flattered. :)
~Joe

I can't seem to remember you mentioning your cutting setup, but based on what I've heard.....I'm guessing hydroponics? ;)

Back