What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZOMG 100+ Pics (Mostly Neps, also fun fuzzy and spiny things)

Something like that. But I can take them out freely without damaging the roots, so not quite. At least, I can do it without damaging the roots until I drop them and nearly step on them. XD
I'll admit, that's closer than I expected folks to get on the first guess. You get a gold star. ;)
~Joe

how long before you manage to get your roots that well developed with your system :) ?

I haven't been taking very good notes, so I can't say for sure. Right now I'm just playing with the method to get a feel for what's important and what I can fudge. I'd say in my first batch it took three or four months for most of the plants to get this bushy (if they did at all - a few of the smaller cuttings just never really took off root-wise until I moved them into a different arrangement to grow out.) In this more recent one, they were at least half this length after a month, and very close to this level of development after two - but this batch is all from the same mother, the plant which responded best to the treatment in my first run. In the first run, the plants seemed to grow faster as time went on, whereas this time around they seem to have grown most quickly at the beginning and then gradually tapered in performance.
~Joe

Last edited:
You have an awesome collection! Everything looks so healthy.

I too love ventricosa x inermis. Mine took about a year before it got over the funk it was in when I first got it, but once it did it hasn't stopped pitchering. They produce a ton of basals too that vine almost immediately.

Wow, Joe, everything looks great! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see you notes on rooting your nep cuttings......

Oh man! Your plants are so amazing! Also your chinchilla is adorable. My chinchilla refuses to pose nicely for pictures aswell. Mostly I just get pictures of a blurry grey blob ^_^;;

You got some amazing plants :)
And those are the biggest nep roots i've ever seen :D

Everything looks fantastic Joe. I have to say, I'm rather envious. "So it would seem that envy is my sin."

I too love ventricosa x inermis. Mine took about a year before it got over the funk it was in when I first got it, but once it did it hasn't stopped pitchering. They produce a ton of basals too that vine almost immediately.

Right? I was impressed when two basals shot out after I clipped the vine to clone it, then amazed when they subsequently went right into vining growth. Then the vine I clipped activated a new node at the tip and that one vined immediately too! This plant is a real winner.

Wow, Joe, everything looks great! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see you notes on rooting your nep cuttings......

Thanks Keith, I'm flattered! How are the Neps I sent you coming along? They were some of my first test subjects so I'm very curious to know how they're adapting to more conventional accommodations. Still heartbroken that I had to cut that fusca x veitchii in half. x.x

Also your chinchilla is adorable. My chinchilla refuses to pose nicely for pictures aswell. Mostly I just get pictures of a blurry grey blob ^_^;;

She's a cutie, right? She was the runt of her litter (unlike most chins, she was born to a group of four - her momma was HUGE) so she has a naturally timid demeanor. She's definitely an accomplished troublemaker, but once she got over her, "I can eat this?" impulses with the camera it wasn't too hard to get some good pics, relatively speaking at least. I only had to toss out two thirds of the shots I took. It probably helped that it was around her naptime and the camera had a good macro setting so I could get it close to the box.
If I were taking pics of her playing on the perches, it would've been a different matter entirely. She'll be 13 sometime this summer if I've got my count right, but she's still a handful. I'm sure if she got more exercise, she'd be as spry as she was when I got her before her first birthday, but even with her kind of chubby and not in peak form, chasing her around totally wipes me out! XD Thank goodness she was well-handled as a baby and actually comes when I call her (sometimes.)

You got some amazing plants :)
And those are the biggest nep roots i've ever seen :D

Thanks! Isn't it awesome? I'm soooo pleased with myself every time I go to look at them. Next batch will be the species that didn't like it so much from my initial test group - we'll see if the improvements I've made in the past year have helped.

Everything looks fantastic Joe. I have to say, I'm rather envious. "So it would seem that envy is my sin."

You may be kind of green, Travis, but still I take that as a big compliment. Thanks!

You guys are all awesome! Lately I've been kind of down on myself because my finances and health aren't permitting me to be as active with my plants as I would like, so such a positive response makes me feel really good. Thank you so much for your kind words.
~Joe

Last edited:
Back