What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lowlander is living a lie..

So I've had N. x leessii for almost a year now. Grew it in lowland conditions for 8 months, and saw nothing from the plant in that time. Four months ago I moved it into my highland greenhouse, and it has taken off!! It would seem this true lowlander was born a highland. It just opened it's first pitcher after a year in my care. It's pitcher is one of the largest in my greenhouse, which isn't saying much.. but I am truly in love with the plant. :drool:

100_8193.jpg

Interesting.. he says this plant likes it's humidity. Perhaps the reason it's doing so well is because it's directly in front of the mist from the humidifier. ???

On the contrary, my N. x Leessii died when the nights were constantly at 40 Fahrenheit. It may not be a true lowlander or highlander, but instead more of an intermediate.

Whoa dang.. I said HL, not UHL conditions. :0o:

Whoa dang.. I said HL, not UHL conditions. :0o:

Most, if not all, of my highlanders, were able to cope with those night time temperatures for the two weeks that they happened.

N. x Leessii is a nice plant though. The N. mirabilis in it really seems to affect its tolerance for things; it really does like its humidity and perhaps a shaded area.

mine get's LOTS of light.. Other than some nice (non-burnt, more like burb style) red leaves, it doesn't seem to mind it.

mine get's LOTS of light.. Other than some nice (non-burnt, more like burb style) red leaves, it doesn't seem to mind it.

I don't know if the N. x Leessii going around is one clone or not, but mine refused to grow in anything more than a thin shade.

Mine is actually a 1ft. basal with the main stalk cut and the entire root system in tact. So it's rather vigorous..

Mine is actually a 1ft. basal with the main stalk cut and the entire root system in tact. So it's rather vigorous..

Mine was rather vigorous as well once I found the conditions it wanted. Mine came in as an established rooted cutting.

right.. I meant vigorous now that I discovered that it was secretly hiding it's HL fetish.

I've had a number of lowlander hybrids that actually did better for me in intermediate/highland conditions. "Judith Finn" is definitely one, and my x.-edinensis-that-isn't-really-x.-edinensis seems to be pretty flexible - it grows a little better as a highlander, I think, but I have it in with my lowlanders just because there was an empty spot and it's pretty crowded elsewhere. These plants are wei~~~rd.
~Joe

Back